Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
Which Dyna? A wide glide would be an easy fix, IMHO.

I'm partial to changing to a 7" light housing, the bottom mount light on a Wide Glide would be easy to do,
a LowRider or SuperGlide is harder, because of the top mount / headlight hanger.

I did install a bottom mount 7" headlight on my LowRider, but still can't scrap the headlight hanger,
it conceals an upper triple tree that is not made for showing. My windshield conceals the headlight hanger.
I use a 65/70W bulb, with the much larger reflector it give much more light without blinding oncoming traffic.

I don't believe any bulb change that I'd be willing to make will make a 5" reflector do the job adequately.
I am pretty particular about the effect of my lights on approaching traffic.

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
I don't believe any bulb change that I'd be willing to make will make a 5" reflector do the job adequately.
I am pretty particular about the effect of my lights on approaching traffic.
That would be an interesting test. I am of the opinion that the size of the reflector has less of an effect on the amount of light coming out of the headlight than the brightness of the bulb. Granted other people in cars etc may notice you eaiser with the larger headlight. A "bigger" light source may be more noticable rather than a "brighter" light source.... dunno. Im not sure if there have been any tests in that regard.

But a test comparing different size reflectors with the same type bulb would be an easy test to setup I would think, with perhaps a light meter of the type used for photography.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
I have seen light comparison done by an overhead view of the light footprint made by two lights. I'm not claiming that a meter would show more intensity, at a single point, unless you totalled a thousand readings taken for both light at the same point, I think from the rider's view, the saturation would be better, if that's a good word for it, the consistency of the projected light better.

If you don't think a bigger reflector would work better, do you think a a smaller reflector would work better?

For one thing, the bulb is a bigger spot that is in it's own way in the smaller lens.

Attachments

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
If you don't think a bigger reflector would work better, do you think a a smaller reflector would work better?
I am of the opinion that the size of the reflector has less of an effect on the amount of light coming out of the headlight than the brightness of the bulb.
Do whatever you want.

I'm not claiming that a meter would show more intensity, at a single point, unless you totalled a thousand readings taken for both light at the same point...
If you had to take 1,000s of readings just to be able to discern a difference between the 2 reflector sizes, doesn't that sound like the benefits of the larger of the 2 reflector sizes are dubious at best?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
The total amount of lumens from any given light source is just that. The size and relectivity index of the reflecting surface just affects the spread and amount of lumens directed onto a given area. At least that's what I learned in Theatre Arts.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
If you had to take 1,000s of readings just to be able to discern a difference between the 2 reflector sizes, doesn't that sound like the benefits of the larger of the 2 reflector sizes are dubious at best?
That's some fuzzy logic. I didn't say I couldn't tell a clear difference from the driver's side,
you supposed a meter could gauge the quality of a light pattern from the front.

A meter in front of a light won't tell you how widely or evenly distributed the light is.
.. and the only way I could see proving there were fewer dark spots in the beam pattern from the front would be by taking many readings.

Choosing the effectiveness of a light by gauging the brightness of the bulb from one point
is exactly what I don't want to do, because that one point simulates the approaching driver's eye. I get more light, more evenly applied, a broader field with less dark spotting without burning the opposing traffic

I don't know what else to tell you. Many people complain about stock 5" bulbs.

I telling my experience with stock 5" lights, vs a 7" housing, 65/70W bulb,
better reflector shape and area, and better light pattern from a better lens.

I hated the light output from the stock lights, I think it is deadly ineffective, in fact the only good thing
about the 5" stock light is that nobody complained about using my brights all the time.

I didn't go to a 100W bulb, only a 65/70W, the light on the road has gone from inadequate to more than plenty.

Believe it or don't. You're happy with what you've got and and I'm happy with what I've got.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
BTW, If you ever come across a "lumens" comparison on those miracle bulbs
that keep their DOT 55/60W approval but "put out as much light
as s typical 135/125w bulb," I'd like to see it.

Actually, here is that lumens chart
It shows 55W = 55W whatever color filter they dip it into.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulb_types/bulb_types.html

Here is an article by an automotive lighting expert, who sells both types,
all types of bulbs, on PIAA's dubious marketting claims....

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/superwhite/superwhite.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new bulb

yesterday i bougt a philips x-streme power , 55/60w and get a road test on my way to work in Oslo , norway .(280 km )in the dark. Yes it works , much better than stock , but still i`m not satisfied . So now i start looking for a bigger headlight ,7 - 8 " but not too deep ( don`t like these in moco`s cataloug) erik

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
No, it's an Adjure aftermarket housing
with a Cibie lens and 65/70W bulb
That's about as bright as I was willing to go myself.

Adjure 7″ Headlamp Kits and Components

Adjure 7″ headlights are available with a smooth chrome or raised flame housing for that clean custom look that everyone wants. Passing lamps, turn signals, and light bars sold separately. Fits on 3/4″ mount blocks only

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=49305571-E23F-45DD-AAA8-16D4131A4020&search=Adjure+7&store=All&page=1

BTW, running heavy gauge wire direct from the battery to the light and controlling it with a relay controlled by the stock wimpy gauge switched wiring made a noticeable difference in brightness. There's a good bit of room inside the housing to hide the relay, the control wires are already there, only need to run heavy hot (fused) and ground.

That is a good example of what shape i did not like .Taste is different .
thanks Erik
Here's a slightly different one... still 7"

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=3100391&cs=Harley&GID=ED183696-EB2D-4E20-9BA0-CFEE25AD9D4D&store=&page=&search=

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I have a question with all this talk about one headlight not giving off enough light, why not just add two more lights? Would doing so cause another problem?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
why not just add two more lights?
For me, on either the V-Rod or the LowRider, it would be a style issue. A pair of 4" driving lights off to either side would totally ruin the slim and clean front end look of the bikes.

If it's a dresser, no problem, in fact since I am focused on not blinding oncoming traffic, I am sure that several points of less intense light would be much more tolerable to oncoming traffic that one point with equal light output.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Thanks got it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts