Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently purchased a new-to-me 01 UCEG (my first HD), as anyone would understand, I want to change all the lubricants especially not knowing what the PO used. So, in order to get some good advise (?), I headed for the local dealer. I was advised by a young lad behind the parts counter to use HD's fully synthetic 20/50 in all three holes; the engine, the tranny, and the primary. Is this good advise? I wonder. So I just purchased four quarts and the filter to change the oil in the motor which I have already accomplished. But before I change the tranny and primary, I need advise from those of you who are far more experienced that this young Toyota Corolla driving lad. BTW, I refered to the manual but it only refers to the types of oil that should be used in the tranny and primary by HD part numbers; not really helpful.

Thanks

masterguns

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
You'll find this has been discussed at great length here, this would prolly be a good time to try out the forum search function, you'll soon see some things can get discussed and re-discussed to the point of tedium otherwise.

You did alright, so far tho, for Texas heat, I believe synthetic in the engine at least is minimum due diligence. I recently went to all Amsoil in my bikes and cars, which prolly doesn't give me any great deal better protection, but gives me the nerve to leave it in there a lot longer. 20w50 for the engine, thicker in the tranny for smoother shift to first is the advice you'll find common, 75w90 for me, and a I got half case of Syn3 left over I'll put in the primary, just cause I don't want it to go to waste.

Search for oil coolers too, for us guys living and riding in Texas heat, I believe that thread is probably lots more important than the type of oil. I like the idea that it gives some extra capacity, too, my LowRider has a disconcerting 2.5 qt capacity, that bothers me when I'm sitting stuck in traffic at 106 degrees.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Oil is by far the most talked about and debated about subject on the forums.

On one hand you almost never see a modern motor have an oil related failure allowing for an argument for the use of the cheapest oil you can find that meets specs.
On the other hand why wouldn't you use the finest lubricant that you can afford. Which would keep your baby sludge free and humming an extra long time.

Some people are poor or cheap and they will do fine with cheapo oil.

Some people have a few extra bucks or just spend more than they should and will benefit from the superior properties of full synthetics.

Amsoil and Mobil/1 Motorcycle oils are by far the two most preferred oils.

As far as putting 20/50 in all three holes, most guys I know do it but the best would be gear oil in your gear box (tranny) like alot of guys around the forum do. Depending on outside temps get the thickest weight.

·
Nitrous Rules
31 Posts
Proof of synthetic oil

I do a lot of experimenting on motorcycles. I use 15W-40 AMS Oil in my Harleys. A couple of months ago I took the pistons out to inspect for wear and replace them (refresh the engine). I keep new pistons in stock but, after inspecting them, they looked so good that I reused them and the cylinders. I took pictures of them for comparison for a future article that I will create for my website.

The bike is a 2007 HD Ultra Classic. It has approximately 37,000 miles and has approximately 32,000 miles on the pistons. This bike is a 103 ci boasting horsepower of 170+ and 190+ torque using nitrous. The bike is ridden hard…nitrous…drag racing…dyno shootouts and cross country riding.

The used piston was cleaned only with a decarbonizing cleaner.
Compare the wear on the thrust side of the piston.
The piston on the left is NEW...The piston in the center came out of the bike.

The piston on the right shows typical wear on an engine with 30,000 miles
using Harley's 20W-50 motor oil.

I own a motorcycle repair shop and dyno tuning center. I have no reason to promote synthetic oil. I only provide information that I have gained through experiments, research and developement. __________________

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Baby oil. The only thing more fun, is watching them squeeze the babies to get it....:D

Engine: 20w-50, 15w-40 Synthetic or Dino...

Trans: 20w50, 75w90, 75w140 synthetic. I prefer the last one, synthetic, as it makes shifting smoother and rids the trans of some of its normal clunking.

Primary: 20w50 synthetic or dino. As long as it's not "Energy Conserving" rated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just got done reading tons on oil

I desided to go with HD dino 20-50 in the motor

and SE Synth in the trans

I run a lot of miles, so the oil in never more than 6 weeks old

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked for HD for 10 years. Just change the motor oil on schedual and same with the trans and primary. Synthitic lubricates better but has smaller molecules so if you have a leaking gasket synthetic will find it a lot faster than regular plain oil. I personally would run regular oil and change it on time and not worry about. A lot of riders (with no creditials will tell you o ya I only use this or that) the main thing is just change it on time and keep everything adusted and tight. Find a hd mechanic who wrenches out of his garage and stick with him the dealer will blow smoke on order to make a bigger sell. Sythitic does lubricate better but I do not feel it is worth the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts