Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went riding and I noticed the clutch lever has about 1/2 inch play in it. Since this scoot has only 650 miles on it should I take some of the free play out of the cable? Also at one time today, the trans shifted into 6th without even touching the lever, Is this common?

Jim

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
uhhhhh... random shifting by itself is NOT NORMAL. Did you get it from a dealer? if so take it back.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I'm no mechanic,but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night. In my professional opinion i'd say ask Dave,, :lol8

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Today I went riding and I noticed the clutch lever has about 1/2 inch play in it. Since this scoot has only 650 miles on it should I take some of the free play out of the cable? Also at one time today, the trans shifted into 6th without even touching the lever, Is this common?

Jim
Chances are, Jim, your clutch cable needs adjusting. However, your profile doesn't say what year bike, so I'm not sure if you got it new or used.

The best advice I can give is to unadjust the cable, and adjust the clutch basket, THEN adjust the cable to the right spec. I say this, because if the play is partially in your clutch basket, and you adjust the cable ONLY, the clutch may slip later, (if not sooner) and ruin your clutch.

If it's under warranty, or you had a recent service, there's too much play in the lever, per your manual.

If I understand your other question correctly, you're asking if you can shift without pulling the clutch? Yes....it's possible, but not really recommended, IMHO. Unless you unload the trans before clutchless shifting, you risk chipping teeth and causing internal trans damage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chances are, Jim, your clutch cable needs adjusting. However, your profile doesn't say what year bike, so I'm not sure if you got it new or used.

The best advice I can give is to unadjust the cable, and adjust the clutch basket, THEN adjust the cable to the right spec. I say this, because if the play is partially in your clutch basket, and you adjust the cable ONLY, the clutch may slip later, (if not sooner) and ruin your clutch.

If it's under warranty, or you had a recent service, there's too much play in the lever, per your manual.

If I understand your other question correctly, you're asking if you can shift without pulling the clutch? Yes....it's possible, but not really recommended, IMHO. Unless you unload the trans before clutchless shifting, you risk chipping teeth and causing internal trans damage.
Thanks Dave for the advise. I maybe should take it back to the dealer since it is an 09. I just thought it would be an easy fix. By the way Dave, you seem to be the GO TO guy here on this forum. It surely is nice for so many on this forum to put such values on your opinions and answers.

Jim

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Whenever Dave give's any adviCe, I'd adviSe anybody to listen........

·
Retired citizen
21,752 Posts
I think there's a recall out on the 6 speed trans shifting into gear without actuating the shift lever . Original owners would have recieved a letter from HD if your bike would be in the affected group . If you didn't buy it new then contact a dealer with your serial nubers and they can look it up .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts