Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know why but, this is my 4th Air Cleaner swap. :loco

I like my filter now and the performance is great, But I want the Spikehood look to continue. So, I got the D & M CHROME SPIKE AIR CLEANER w/K&N filter.
Question is is how much air is needed? I am sure the new spiked is less than the one I have on. It runs fantastic. The guy who sold the spiked AC had it on a S&S engine so it must draw some mean air.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Señor Member
19,561 Posts
Looks tight, squeekie. Hopefully you can commit this time! :laugh

Guys make a lot of mods. You make the same one over and over. :laugh

Just kidding man. Looks like a winner to me and if you like how she runs then thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, it's on but had some complications. The carburator support bracket was 3/4" wider than mine and the collar that attaches the 90 to it wouldn't fit my support bracket's hole alignment. So, I had to use my powder coated bracket and collar on the spiked chrome 90 and air filter. But, it wouldn't tighten up enough and the AC started sagging when I test rode it. So, I took it off and tried to drill through the collar and 90 (on the bottomside) and put a cotter key through both to keep it from spinning. I broke 2 1/16" drill bit so I tried 1/8" bit and it wouldn't drill but 1/2 way through. I don't know why it got 1/2 way and the other 1/2 is some strong stuff. So, I put some Gorilla Glue on the collar and 90 and it dried solid.

:eek

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I call it Lancelot.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
19,561 Posts
Well, it's on but had some complications. The carburator support bracket was 3/4" wider than mine and the collar that attaches the 90 to it wouldn't fir my support bracket's hole alignment. So, I had to use my powder coated bracket and collar on the spiked chrome 90 and air filter. But, it wouldn't tighten up enough and the AC started sagging when I test rode it. So, I took it off and tried to drill through the collar and 90 (on the bottomside) and put a cotter key through both to keep it from spinning. I broke 2 1/16" drill bit so I tried 1/8" bit and it wouldn't drill but 1/2 way through. I don't know why it got 1/2 way and the other 1/2 is some strong stuff. So, I put some Gorilla Glue on the collar and 90 and it dried solid.

:eek
I doubt the second half was stronger stuff, you probably dulled your bit going through the first half.

·
Señor Member
19,561 Posts
That's some serious jerryrigging, but it looks good. That glue is good stuff, but I hope you'll follow though with something permanent. Looks real good. Clean it up later where the sun don't shine.

·
Señor Member
19,561 Posts
Your chrome shines like a diamond. So much so that your red shirt is distracting. :laugh

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's some serious jerryrigging, but it looks good. That glue is good stuff, but I hope you'll follow though with something permanent. Looks real good. Clean it up later where the sun don't shine.
I am going to take it to a machine shop and have them drill a hole through the bottom of collar and tap it for a set screw. I don't know why an expensive AC ( I have seen them with the complete kit for $450) wouldn't have one anyway.
Kind of like my bad photoshop of it but, on the bottom of the collar.

D&M Custom Cycle - Air Cleaners - Spike Series - Spear

Attachments

·
Señor Member
19,561 Posts
Looks real good though, man. Let us know when you get it solid. I think you'll like it.

Joust on!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love the look you have gotten with this bike! One question, have you had any trouble from those open breather vent bolts? I am doing like u and wanting to change my brand new Ness big sucker to something like yours but have reservations about oil blowing. I get enuff oil blow to drip off my filter now...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the look you have gotten with this bike! One question, have you had any trouble from those open breather vent bolts? I am doing like u and wanting to change my brand new Ness big sucker to something like yours but have reservations about oil blowing. I get enuff oil blow to drip off my filter now...
No, I have no oil blow-by. After 100 mile ride I have just a slight mist of oil showing that I wipe with a rag and I'm done.

Harley Davidson Sportster polished aluminum breather bolts DK Custom

:eek:uttahere:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts