Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I bough a 2001 dyna low rider back in 2003 for 10,000. I lost it in super storm sandy in 2012. I gave it to someone I know the bike was a total lost for me had no insurance on it too. The guy has always work on my Harley. He did work on the low rider my road King and now he will do work to my CVO. I saw him today and ask how much he wants for it and he told me 9,000 what is a good offer I can give him. He said he into for 7,000. This was the first Harley I ever bough

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
How can this be the first Harley you ever bought if you already had a Low Rider and a Road King and and now the CVO ? Something doesn't sound right here !
So anyways how deep are your pockets ? Do ya wanna save the bike or not ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's hard to put a price on a bike that's been salvaged. I don't know if this applies to motorcycle titles but I believe in some states (NYS may be one of them) that you have to declare that the vehicle has been salvaged. That type of info will probably show up in a title search engine like carfax which may impact the future resale value of the bike.

If you're buying it for nostalgic reasons, have a high confidence that the guy did do all of the work he claims he did, that there is nothing lurking that could be a major issue in the future and you're not concerned about resale value (assuming the salvage history thing mentioned is valid) then you kind of have to put book value aside and come to an agreement with the seller.

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my first Harley I ever bought. I really don't want to go in all 9,000 bc in my mind I can get something new for a little more money. I would use the bike to zip around NYC.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
What year and model CVO ?

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to put a price on a bike that's been salvaged. I don't know if this applies to motorcycle titles but I believe in some states (NYS may be one of them) that you have to declare that the vehicle has been salvaged. That type of info will probably show up in a title search engine like carfax which may impact the future resale value of the bike.

If you're buying it for nostalgic reasons, have a high confidence that the guy did do all of the work he claims he did, that there is nothing lurking that could be a major issue in the future and you're not concerned about resale value (assuming the salvage history thing mentioned is valid) then you kind of have to put book value aside and come to an agreement with the seller.
I don't know if it has a salvaged title bc I never went threw insurance I just signed over the title and gave it to him

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Hey man, I have a big box of old harley collectable parts for sale that you might like to buy !
I also have some property out near the Bermuda triangle I'm trying to sell, if you're interested .

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey man, I have a big box of old harley collectable parts for sale that you might like to buy !
I also have some property out near the Bermuda triangle I'm trying to sell, if you're interested .
Sure will get together and ride out to the Bermuda Triangle and talk. How's tomorrow working for you. :blahblah:

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:laughWTF? this don't make any sense
I was looking for a bike to zip around NYC with something smaller then my limited I have now. So the person I gave my 2001 low rider too ask me if I want to buy it but he wants 9,000 bc he said he put 7,000 into it. I was just asking what people would think it's worth

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I wouldn't put much money at all in a bike that had been exposed to salt water. Might run fine, but one little pit in a crucial bearing could turn into an engine grenade at some point.
My local C.List has a 2001 and a 2002 D.L.R. today, $5200 and $6200.
Drive a little, save a lot. $9k is WAY outta line for that old of a bike.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
I would think if you gave the bike to him for $0, and he put $7k into it. And he asked you to buy it back. I would give him $7k. It's the same thing as if he just fixed your bike for you...

Edited for spelling errors

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think if you gave the bike to him for $0, and he put $7k into it. And he asked you to buy it back. I would give him $7k. It's the same thing as if he just fixed your bike for you...

Edited for spelling errors
I was thinking of showing up with 5k and see what he says. I not worry about any damage from the salt water bc the bike has been strip of everything possible and all new parts where put in. If he won't take any offer then the 9k he wants he can keep it and I'll go else where but it would be nice to have that bike back for some sentimental reason

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think he spent too much restoring the bike. He has more into it than it is worth. I would think $6500 on the high side of it is in great condition. I know all about sentimental value. My bike it the poster bike for sentiment but you can't just throw money away on it. I would offer $6000 and if he thinks he can get more elsewhere, good luck to him.

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think he spent too much restoring the bike. He has more into it than it is worth. I would think $6500 on the high side of it is in great condition. I know all about sentimental value. My bike it the poster bike for sentiment but you can't just throw money away on it. I would offer $6000 and if he thinks he can get more elsewhere, good luck to him.
That's what I was thinking

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Honestly... I would just look at other bikes! Yes he striped it all down and replaced a bunch of parts and other items... The bones are the same but the the essence has been changed.

FWIW, move on to something else.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Unless you have some strong sentimental attachment to the bike I think you should pass. It's too much money for something that got repaired after surviving Sandy. I see lots of late model ('07 and newer) Dynas for sale on CL for around $6-9000, and this is the time of year to get a good deal on a garage queen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts