Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I need your help fast. My daughter just bought a used 2007 dyna low rider and it needs to be lowered about a inch for her to put her feet flat on the ground as she is only 5' 2". I know there are a few ways of doing this but want to know the best and easiest. i have read about just changing the rear shocks to take care of the problem but will i have to do the front springs also. the shocks are 12" in length now but there are so many different ones at 11" in length i don't know which ones to get. she only weighs about 130 lbs. so i don't think it will bottom out, do you?

·
Banned
71 Posts
OK guys, I need your help fast. My daughter just bought a used 2007 dyna low rider and it needs to be lowered about a inch for her to put her feet flat on the ground as she is only 5' 2". I know there are a few ways of doing this but want to know the best and easiest. i have read about just changing the rear shocks to take care of the problem but will i have to do the front springs also. the shocks are 12" in length now but there are so many different ones at 11" in length i don't know which ones to get. she only weighs about 130 lbs. so i don't think it will bottom out, do you?
IMHO The best thing to do is to rework the seat. You can get two inches lower with ease . :)

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Rear lowering blocks and thick soled boots. Worked for my wife. EBay for blocks under $30. Did put a Danny Gray push butt crack seat on it also. Forward and lower by a inch

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I put 1" shorter shocks on my Dyna. I was around 200' then. The ride was ok, the handling (stock fork height) was a bit lazy at low speeds, but fine underway. A seat doesn't have to be thinner to be lower, the trick is it being narrower at the front, thus providing a shorter distance to the ground.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Lowering kit is less than $100 but I wouldn't recommend it . No you don't need to lower the front end . At only 130 pounds she could probably get away with a 11" shock replacement along with some thick soled boots . You could drop another 2" with a LePerra Barebones Solo seat for around $150 unless she plans to tour .

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
If you do lower the bike be careful of the brake caliper hitting the rear fender.

Also thick sole boots will help as mentioned before, put jell insole in the boots it will raise her just a little more and add comfort to her feet.

I'm 5'5" I was ok with the just boots so lowering her shocks should help her.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lowering low rider

thanks guys, after reading all the responses we decided we will install 11" rear shocks and she will get some new boots with a 2" thick heel, which she wanted anyways.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check out Streetrays adjustable lowering kits too. I have a short friend that lowered his Ultra Classic with them, and he claims it rides better and you keep the existing shocks so no loss of travel in the suspension. @24 bucks through his ebay store. Don't know if he makes for a Dyna though... good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts