Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have bought a 2003 Dyna FXD but the previous owner took off the turn signals. For various reasons i would like to re-install them, but i got no parts from him.
I have read this post http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4372 from a guy with similar problem, however my issue is slightly different, so forgive me if i start a new thread...

I can do some minor handy work on my bike, i have plenty of free time, so if possible i'd like to go solo. However i'm no expert and i have a few questions:

1. how do i understand what parts i need? someone told me that the relay, or TSM might have been stripped out as well, so how do i find out if this is the case? I know i need the lights themselves, the handlebar commands, some wiring, what else?

2. assuming that i do find all necessary parts, is there anything else i should know, especially considering that my HD has the standard alarm mounted? i've read in the service manual that there is a procedure to follow to arm the alarm but it involves counting how many time the blinkers blink, and i do not have them.......

3. anyone with enough insight can drop me a rough all-inclusive estimate for such job? or even decent prices for the single various parts.... i'd like to understand if i need to sell my car or not...

4. should my intentions be generally considered as fool for a bricoleur, what would you reckon a fair price for both parts and labour is in case i have to take my bike to the shop?

5. any additional comments and hints will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Giovanni

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, don't tell me there are people posting here without having a harley...

In any case, you are right, sorry, but you know how these things go... we're stressed, don't know where to bang our head, all of the sudden we find a forum, it looks the good way to go, and we forget etiquette.

I've uploaded a pic of my bike. I would have another one taken last week on the simplon pass (between italy and switzerland, I swear I was cold) but cannot find a way of uploading a second image...

Cheers.

·
Registered
39,468 Posts
Oh no, don't tell me there are people posting here without having a harley...

In any case, you are right, sorry, but you know how these things go... we're stressed, don't know where to bang our head, all of the sudden we find a forum, it looks the good way to go, and we forget etiquette.

I've uploaded a pic of my bike. I would have another one taken last week on the simplon pass (between italy and switzerland, I swear I was cold) but cannot find a way of uploading a second image...

Cheers.
It's usually people posting here trying to pawn off Nikes and phones that dont have Harleys around here.... they don't last long before getting nuked. :ban:

For posting pics, you can do it 2 ways:

1) If you go to the advanced, you can attach a pic as a file.

2) You can hit the gallery button up top and that will take you to a page where you can upload photos by hitting the upload link just below where you see the gallery link.

·
Registered
39,468 Posts
Hello,

I have bought a 2003 Dyna FXD but the previous owner took off the turn signals. For various reasons i would like to re-install them, but i got no parts from him.
I have read this post http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4372 from a guy with similar problem, however my issue is slightly different, so forgive me if i start a new thread...

I can do some minor handy work on my bike, i have plenty of free time, so if possible i'd like to go solo. However i'm no expert and i have a few questions:

1. how do i understand what parts i need? someone told me that the relay, or TSM might have been stripped out as well, so how do i find out if this is the case? I know i need the lights themselves, the handlebar commands, some wiring, what else?

2. assuming that i do find all necessary parts, is there anything else i should know, especially considering that my HD has the standard alarm mounted? i've read in the service manual that there is a procedure to follow to arm the alarm but it involves counting how many time the blinkers blink, and i do not have them.......

3. anyone with enough insight can drop me a rough all-inclusive estimate for such job? or even decent prices for the single various parts.... i'd like to understand if i need to sell my car or not...

4. should my intentions be generally considered as fool for a bricoleur, what would you reckon a fair price for both parts and labour is in case i have to take my bike to the shop?

5. any additional comments and hints will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Giovanni
First you need to figure out how the previous owner removed the turn signals. He could have just clipped the wires to the turnsignals under the headlight mount for the fronts. For the rear signals, I believe your year bike, the rear signals plug in to a connector located behind the brake light. Remove the brake light lens and you will see them if equipped.

A service manual will have wiring diagrams. :thumb

·
Registered
541 Posts
I doubt the previous owner took off the signal relay, nor the wires to the signal. What would the point of that be? He might have cut them, but that's easy to fix with some extra wire and some solder. So what I figure you should do is, if you want the stock HD signals, is either go to an HD dealership and order them or go to some sort of swap meet and buy them. If you don't mind having some aftermarket sets, search around the net for Harley Turn Signals and you'll come up with some options you might like.

If you want the stock switches, just buy them and install them. Check the maintenance manual for a how-to. Or, you could conceivably buy some aftermarket electrical switches of reasonable quality and mount them anywhere, so long as you run the right wires to them. Personally, I'd go find some used stock HD switches.

My best uneducated guess for total cost... $400-600 for parts and cheap labor, considering the turn signals themselves aren't going to be as cheap as they should be. Just go to any moto repair guy, I bet he could do it for you if you hand him the manual. Or do it yourself, and save the labor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I will start from there. And hopefully it won't get too complicated for me....

Cheers.

Giovanni

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
There got to be a plug for the lights front and rear my 99 dyna has em so your should the rear is probley right where the harness goes through the fender bt the seat just buy the lights and factory harness and plug and play.
The front should be under the gas tank and you can probley buy the lights and harness for that also,plug and play.hope this helps you out .Any questions just ask.alot of people just find out info and bail and we dont even know their names its like nocking on a door and not saying who you are.Welcome and enjoy!!

We have a couple of posers here lately who wont show their bikes and are sitting in a dealership sittin on em and taking pics then say they own em so now I ask for home pics.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
We have a couple of posers here lately who wont show their bikes and are sitting in a dealership sittin on em and taking pics then say they own em so now I ask for home pics.[/QUOTE]

Surely you jest!:bat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the previous owner worked it quite a bit, front end belongs to fatboy, tank has been made slimmer, paint job etc... so i would not be surprised if he had actually stripped out stuff that i need now. Unfortunately i can't get a hold of him anymore.
But as soon as it stops snowing and raining i'll go look for the plugs where you said they should be.
No swap meetings that i am aware of here in CH... but i'll check with the local hd chapter you never now.

LOL i can't believe the story about posers... why would someone want to do that? you mean the ferrari club might have the same problem? some people........

Thanks you all again, will keep you posted.

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts