Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reading online beeswax is the best??? also lanotin oil is good...
found product called kiwi campdry beeswax anyone use any of these or
another product........:cheers:

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i like mink oil

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I liked Mink oil until I read this and realized there were better choices (for me that is)

Mink oil is made from the thick fatty layer minks have just under their skins. This fat is removed from the pelt when the mink is skinned and is then rendered into mink oil. Mink oil is a source of palmitoleic acid which possesses physical properties similar to human sebum, therefore mink oil is used in several medical and cosmetic products. Mink oil is also favored for treating and preserving leather.
Botanical alternatives to mink oil as a source of palmitoleic acid include macadamia nut oil (Macadamia integrifolia) and Sea Buckthorn oil (Hippophae rhamnoides), both of which contain a larger percentage of palmitoleic acid (22 and 40% respectively) than does mink oil (17%).

ddyna07,
I have never tried beeswax but I'm sure it would work well too.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
I don't believe beeswax will ever penetrate the leather, unless you could put it under pressure and heat. I think something as thick as beeswax would be best for the seams and stitching, for between the sole and the boot, for filling a gap. Same for mink oil.

I haven't done anything to my HD boots and they are very waterproof, I've stood in water 4" deep for 10 minutes and used my boots to kick debris out of the way so a ditch could drain.

I usually use "heavy" silicone spray, from the auto parts store, and mink oil alternately.

IMHO, Boots aren't really a place where high grade leather preservative is needed, like a 30 year old classic car interior or even good riding leathers.
For one thing boots are going to wear out long before the leather has age problems.

Waterproofing is a much different task, and for that I don't think you can beat silicone. I've used silicone waterproofing as thin as vodka on a section of porous aged mortar and red brick wall, for years the house looked very strange on rainy days, the wet red brick looked dark as ketchup, except for this 10'x10' area I'd treated with silicone, it stayed dry as powder and notably different color thru days of rain.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
well i figure why not use the mink oil since they dont kill the minks for the oil its a by product of the slaughter for their skins.. not trying to be all PETA ..and is more readily availble than the other two alternatives you listed EZE

i use the mink oil and put them in the oven on VERY low heat to help it penetrate the leater.. my boots dont get wet often so this works.. i use it on my ball glove too .. its what my grandpa did .. if its good enough for him .. its good enough for me! LOL

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
I don't believe beeswax will ever penetrate the leather, unless you could put it under pressure and heat
I have a way you could put boots under pressure, if you wanted to go to the trouble. A technical problem solving trivial pursuit.

Anything you put into a plastic trash bag, and seal the opening of the bag over a vacuum cleaner nozzle will be crushed. Try it on a bag of leaves or as a trash compactor. (I was a great dad when the kids had science projects.)

You don't want to crush your boots, you just want to crush the mink oil into the leather. If you put a trash bag inside the boot, stuff paper or socks, or fill the boot with cat sand, then grease the boot thickly with mink oil, then put another trash bag over the outside. Stick the vacuum nozzle between the two bags, power on the vacuum and the vacuum will crush the two bags together, crushing the leather and mink oil between them.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
well i figure why not use the mink oil since they dont kill the minks for the oil its a by product of the slaughter for their skins.. not trying to be all PETA ..and is more readily availble than the other two alternatives you listed EZE

i use the mink oil and put them in the oven on VERY low heat to help it penetrate the leater.. my boots dont get wet often so this works.. i use it on my ball glove too .. its what my grandpa did .. if its good enough for him .. its good enough for me! LOL
Thats a method that I havent thought of. Heating it up first that is. I have been using mink oil since I owned my first baseball glove as a kid. My reason is purely scientific for prefering the other two choices because they contain even more of the good stuff in the oil. I havent tried them yet. I just used a mink oil paste a few months ago on my riding leather.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i guess for me old habits die hard.. its just what i have always done .. and yeah it started with the glove when i was 8

·
COB
1,984 Posts
another product........:cheers:
Modern silicone based product

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Leather waterproofing - Obenauf's

another product........
I have spent a lot of time outdoors and it was always a challenge to keep leather boots and gear in good condition. It was even more difficult to keep them waterproof. Many of the products on the market such as saddle soap, mink oil, and silicone don't do the job very well.

Obenauf's leather care products are the best that I have ever used. Their product line includes a leather oil for leather that has less exposure to the weather and their heavy duty product, which by the way is based on bees wax. Oenauf's also offers a leather cleaner.

The web site has some great information on keeping your leather in top condition. If you check the on-line reviews, you will see nothing but positive reviews of their products.

http://www.obenaufs.com

Pete

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sno-Seal. Best waterproofing substance out there. 100% beeswax, and soft enough that it will penetrate the leather. One coating usually protected my feet during hunting season. Of course, that was before Mr. Gore invented Gore-Tex.

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html

I realize none of you may ever come back to this thread, but maybe the info will help someone else out in the future.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
I like Mink Oil, but bee'swax is good stuff and so is common silicone spray, if it's the thick stuff.

Because I'm contrary, I'd get bee'swax toilet rings at Lowe's for $2.99 and melt it,

that's how I make my cast boolit lube,

set the boots in a hot car or by a heat lamp till they get pretty hot,

then brush the bee's wax on and let 'em soak in the hot car, repeat.

Then use mink oil like it was polish whenever they need sprucing up a little,

and spray silicone on 'em good if I'm going to stand in water the next day.

·
Stryker Tanker
31 Posts
I'm with Danny45 Sno Seal is awesome. I used it on my mukluks and other winter boots when I was doing surveying in Northern Wisconsin. Kept everything dry during 8-10 hour days in the woods throughout the winter and spring. I've found the best way to get either Sno seal or mink oil into the leather is to pre-heat the boot with a hairdryer and then apply the sealer to the heated area. Then heat again to help the sealer thin out and soak into the pores of the leather. Repeat the process until the entire boot has been covered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts