Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting your experienced advise as to what enclosed trailer to purchase and what size. The intel is as follows: I'm looking at hauling 3 or 4 bikes. Two bikes are Road Kings, one is a fat boy and the other is V-Rod. I would like a V-Nose and as narrow (6, 7 or less than 8 feet wide) as possible. The question is what length and width along with a good manufacturer would you suggest? Please remember my pickup is not a big horsepower truck so width is a serious consideration when pulling mountains. Thanks for the help and advise.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Probley a 16' to 18' with dual axles and electric brake is a must you need a brake controler installed in your rig if you dont have one and a class 3 trailer hitch,get one with a drop gate ramp and a side door.
but be prepared to dig in your pocket a little trailers are not cheap.
hope this helps ya.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I pulled a 12x6.5 for my race bikes. It held 3 bikes, and gear....barely. Two side by side and one width wise in the rear, tools and gear in the front. Not baggers either. Anything more, and you'll have to go to a larger trailer and a larger truck to pull it, I'm afraid.

An open trailer gives you more room, because the side walls aren't taking up room for your bikes/bags. Of course, you give up security.

My 4.7 Dodge Ram pulled it nicely, but struggled a tad on the hills, going to Summit Point, WV and through VA going to Barber Raceway, in Alabama.

A total of 4 bikes, enclosed, would take a 14x8 at a minimum and now you're talking almost 2800lbs in bikes, not to mention trailer weight of about 1400-1800, depending on construction.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
check out the haulmarks. a buddy of mine says there's a lot of used ones in Utah right now. he got a tandem 21' two years old for $3500.00

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
about hauling 3-4 bikes i had an expedition w/chip and mods. hauled 4 bikes and an enclosed trailer to Grand canyon. 7-9000 pounds depending on what else you cary. even w/ brake controller it is a challenge. my suggestion is larger truck or open trailer. now i use an f250 deisel. would hate to see 60k plus in bikes on the side of the road. actually i have a carson 2 bike i use for long runs. they look small and unstable but they have a very low center of gravity. i was on the way to Washington from cali and was very impressed 85-90 w/ a loaded roadking and road glide? one more in the bed of the truck and you got three.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Id get a realistic idea of what your truck is rated for first. That would limit your selection. If you are pullin short/easy trips then you could error toward the MAX amount of your trucks capabilities. If your gonna be hauling day on stay on I'd try to find something on the "easy" side of your trucks rating. Gear up good and you could always do some partime hauling for dealers and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts