Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am want to install a USB outlet on my bike. I want to put it on the cover behind the passing lamps. Either under the toggle switch or on the right hand side panel. I want it to only have power when the key is on. What would be a good place to tie into the wiring?

The USB socket looks like this one

Thanks for the help

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey all,

I am want to install a USB outlet on my bike. I want to put it on the cover behind the passing lamps. Either under the toggle switch or on the right hand side panel. I want it to only have power when the key is on. What would be a good place to tie into the wiring?

The USB socket looks like this one

Thanks for the help
Tap into the light circuit , It will only have power when key is on same as the lights . :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking passing lamps. But they are only on when brights are off. Is there a fuse block anywhere like in a car that I can tap onto?

You made me have a second thought. How do you make the passing lamps stay on all the time?

Bill

·
Banned
71 Posts
I was thinking passing lamps. But they are only on when brights are off. Is there a fuse block anywhere like in a car that I can tap onto?

You made me have a second thought. How do you make the passing lamps stay on all the time?

Bill
There is a thread on here on how to wire the passing lamps so that they stay on . SEARCH is your friend . :)

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/electrical/22028-passing-lamp-conversion.html

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/electrical/43933-03-heritage-want-passing-lamps-stay.html

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
The O/W and BK wires that are taped to the headlight wire harness can be used, they are the HDI wires and aren't used on USA bikes. Also they only power on when the ignition is on.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
You will need some way to step down the voltage. Unless I am mistaken on the wiring of you bike all the wires you "could" tap into are 12v whereas a usb port is 5v. You will need some kind of transformer to drop the voltage to keep your usb devices from blowing.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Good catch there Em4n. There's 5v to the EFI sensors, like the engine temp sensor etc..

·
Banned
71 Posts
You will need some way to step down the voltage. Unless I am mistaken on the wiring of you bike all the wires you "could" tap into are 12v whereas a usb port is 5v. You will need some kind of transformer to drop the voltage to keep your usb devices from blowing.
Good catch there Em4n. There's 5v to the EFI sensors, like the engine temp sensor etc..
What the OP is using will step down the voltage internally . I looked the part up . :)

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
What the OP is using will step down the voltage internally . I looked the part up . :)
Ok, so that throws out my concern. :biking:

Even with that being 5v. I don't think it would be a very good idea to tap into the engine management/monitoring circuits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts