Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2009 Heritage Softail and realized that I have to put it in neutral before I can start the bike. Is this something new? It might be a great safety feature, but what a pain in the butt, especially when it's hard to get into neutral anyway.

Angel
Wilmington, Delaware

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
If neutral is hard to find there is something wrong.Have your dealer check this as some thing is not adjusted properly. In the mean time pull in your clutch to start.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called the dealership. The 2009 will not start anymore unless it is in neutral. It was done because of the jump when you started it in first gear---------------------grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Until this year, Harleys have always been able to be started while in gear. I've seen many a scoot go scooting away from a rider who tries to start it in gear before he's on it! When I worked at a dealership selling Harleys, I always made sure I told the new owner about the bike being able to be started in gear when I delivered it to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah one of my kids shifted into 1st gear that startup caused me to muscle my bike a few feet from the ground......Dang...I just always check now

·
why
251 Posts
my 09 dyna will start in gear but if it is cold it launches (when clutch is all the way in ) but when warm its fine (when clutch is pulled in )not a thing i would do all the time but i was worried about city intersections stalls ( newbie).so not all 09s are the same? when clutch is out (tried once ) it still seams to want to start i havent tried twice but was curious.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
It's about time that Harley put in this safety feature as it will save us from damaging our bikes and our egos.

·
Fatboy with a Fatboy
1 Posts
I've got an 09 Fatboy and it starts in gear, clutch lever pulled of course. I do feel a slight movement of the bike when starting this way but nothing serious.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
If they've wired the ignition enable to the neutral indicator, it shouldn't be hard to rig it. I would find a way.

I don't care at all for owner selection preventers.

My manual transmission GTO came with a CAGS ( Computer Assisted Gear Selection) feature that forces you to skip 2nd and 3rd, and go 1st to 4th when not running it hard. Cost $2 and a resistor to rig that out on the first weekend I had the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys, thanks!
I did call the dealership and I talked to the service department. This is new for the 09's. It defiinetly has to be in neutral. It sure is a pain. Like I said, sometimes it's hard to get it in neutral. Hopefully as the weather warms up and it gets broke in a little, I won't have a hard time finding it, because it is embarassing. You look like a dumb [email protected]@.
Again thanks
Angel
Heritage Softail
Wilmington, Delaware

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I bought the Heritage I had a 2009 Sportster and it started in gear, clutch pulled in of course, maybe it's just the Heritage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have an 09 Super Glide and it will start in any gear. Personally I would rather have the neutral saftey switch or even just have to pull the clutch in to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys, thanks!
I did call the dealership and I talked to the service department. This is new for the 09's. It defiinetly has to be in neutral. It sure is a pain. Like I said, sometimes it's hard to get it in neutral. Hopefully as the weather warms up and it gets broke in a little, I won't have a hard time finding it, because it is embarassing. You look like a dumb [email protected]@.
Again thanks
Angel
Heritage Softail
Wilmington, Delaware
They are giving info you want to hear....... not the truth. My 09 Heritage will start in any gear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Harleyman111

I agree, because I called Wisconsin and they are checking into this for me and getting a call back today. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got a straight answer from Wisconsin regarding starting the bike in Neutral only. I called my dealership again, and told them what Wisconsin said and they in turn called Wisconsin and found out the same answer they gave me. The wiring in the switch housing could be bad or the switch could be bad. I was only able to start my bike while in neutral. If I pulled the clutch in and tried to start in 1st gear, it wouldn't turn over. My dealership told me it was a "NEW" safety feature..................NOT! Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Just bought a 2009 Heritage Softail and realized that I have to put it in neutral before I can start the bike. Is this something new? It might be a great safety feature, but what a pain in the butt, especially when it's hard to get into neutral anyway.

Angel
Wilmington, Delaware
bike should start w/ clutch in, in gear...My '09 fATBOB DOES:thumb just to correct some people on trying to find neutral on a NEW bike. It's common to be a pain in the ass, after a few hundred miles gets easier (I know, i bitched about it myself, never had an issue in past) so i said something to dealer or you can adjust cable slightly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Harley started doing this back in 2007. They added a safety feature that would keep the bike from starting while in gear. The bike must be in neutral in order to start or the clutch lever must be pulled in while in gear to start the bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts