Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I finally made it HD ownership after 30+ years of riding. Now the learning curve begins as I hope to gain insight on the mechanicals of my new-to-me 1995 FXDS-C Dyna Convertible. Please forgive the newbie questions.
Here she is:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, that was part of the allure; well kept and under 11K miles. I've only found two small hidden spots where the finish isn't up to snuff and I'll that fixed in a jiffy. I'm hoping to get the motor mounts sorted out and new tire on the front so I can enjoy the rest of the summer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see that the isolator in the front mount is all the way to the top so I know for sure it needs replacing, I'm going to do the rear at the same time just so I know all of the rubber is fresh; I figure the cost is inexpensive peace of mind in the long run since this scoot is a keeper.
I was mildly disappointed that I had to remove so much of the front end to get the wheel off. Yes, I bought a bald tire onboard but an unmounted brand new Dunlop came with the deal. Who'd a-thunk that you'd have to pull the fender and both calipers to change the tire out? Now I need the torque specs for the whole shebang and not just the axle and pinch bolt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaving the rotors on, my local tire guy is a whiz at changing and balancing and I ought to have this completed this afternoon. Eventually the UPS guy will deliver my just ordered shop manual and I'll have all of the torque specs at hand. There's just no substitute for a good shop book IMO.

Now I just have to come up with a workaround for the side stand spring interfering with the bike lift. I cobbled a quick solution this am but I need a better plan so I can get both wheels in the air.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Haynes book came this afternoon but it's lame and I'll have to find a real HD shop manual specifically for the 1995 model year if I want to dig into this machine. The Haynes did give me enough torque specs to get the front end sorted out but totally lacks info on the engine mounts. At least I did manage to get the primary chain adjusted...can you believe it was too tight? Not at all what I expected...

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Hello, I finally made it HD ownership after 30+ years of riding. Now the learning curve begins as I hope to gain insight on the mechanicals of my new-to-me 1995 FXDS-C Dyna Convertible.
I just talked a buddy into buying a Dyna C. Great bikes and you can usually get them for a good price because most Harley n00bs are all wanting to pose it on a Soft Tail.

If you put fringe on it it will make the motor die out unexpectedly at random times.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Yes, that was part of the allure; well kept and under 11K miles. I've only found two small hidden spots where the finish isn't up to snuff and I'll that fixed in a jiffy. I'm hoping to get the motor mounts sorted out and new tire on the front so I can enjoy the rest of the summer.
Those year Dynas kinda have a history of eating up the front rubber isolator in the motor mount. I know several people with them and all have had to chage theirs out. If yours is not rotted/worn through you might consider buying one before you need it....coz you probably will need it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the Haynes was way to generalized for my next noob query.

I see that the Dyna doesn't have the common oil bag set up but that it appears to have a shared engine oil and transmission oil system. I find two drain plugs under the bike in the oil pan. Which is the proper plug to remove to drain the awful stuff that's in there now so I can replace it with Amsoil 20W50? And, does anyone have a proper filter number I can cross reference? (The current filter is a pretty bit of chrome that needs replacing)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I think I've sorted this out. The cap with the dipstick is the crankcase oil and the allen cap above the speedo cable is the tranny oil, yes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aha, the metric boy in me had the clutch cable on the other side :-0

At least I guessed the proper entry points for the crankcase and the tranny. The current crankcase oil looks evil so it's the first to go...

Thanks for the guidance, I'm learning a lot and one things for sure, a model specific HD shop book is going to be required reading.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dave for helping me get it sorted out.

I managed to change the oil (read as burned tarry gunk) out for a fresh fill of Amsoil 20W50. The primary chain is adjusted to spec (Haynes), the oil there looked brand new. New front tire on and balanced. Idle up to proper RPM for an Evo. K&N filter cleaned and reoiled.

Then I stole an idea from this thread (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/d...fxd-vibration-problem-cured-10-materials.html) and loosened the front isolator and lo and behold there was gap the thickness of a quarter. So, a couple of heavy washers later it was buttoned up and the vibes have dropped in half or better. I think it still needs new motor mounts but it's so much better now it's easily very rideable.

All in all a very productive day and I had a great ride to the local bike night. Thanks to your help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
1995 Fxds

Hello, I finally made it HD ownership after 30+ years of riding. Now the learning curve begins as I hope to gain insight on the mechanicals of my new-to-me 1995 FXDS-C Dyna Convertible. Please forgive the newbie questions.
Here she is:

Congratulations on your new bike!!! Once you go Harley-Davidson, you don't go back!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, that didn't take long...1st Place in the Street Bike category at the local DARE Bike Show:

My pair of Triumphs did pretty well, too. 2nd Place Street Bike and 1st Place Metric Touring. That's right I'm bragging a little bit but my old Grandad always said "it ain't braggin' if'n it's a fact.:ride"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts