Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone been reading these forums for a while glad to finally be a member so I recently bought a brand-new 2015 iron 883 first bike ever I've never ridden a motorcycle before this one so I've been doing great on the road no problem but while pulling into a driveway I lost control from some gravel that was in the driveway and the bike swept under me going slow there's minimal damage only on the rear blinker scraped the heat shield scraped and Mirror is scraped but that's it nothing bad my question is my warranty Voided now ? What should I look for ?my exhaust seems to be louder now and vibrates Way more can this because I dropped it? I only have 100 miles so far

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello everyone been reading these forums for a while glad to finally be a member so I recently bought a brand-new 2015 iron 883 first bike ever I've never ridden a motorcycle before this one so I've been doing great on the road no problem but while pulling into a driveway I lost control from some gravel that was in the driveway and the bike swept under me going slow there's minimal damage only on the rear blinker scraped the heat shield scraped and Mirror is scraped but that's it nothing bad my question is my warranty Voided now ? What should I look for ?my exhaust seems to be louder now and vibrates Way more can this because I dropped it? I only have 100 miles so far
Check your exhaust for loose or broken studs. Maybe time to see your Dealer to have it checked out also .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply I did check .I probably should have a professional check it at the dealership but quick question do you think I still have my factory warranty?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks for your reply I did check .I probably should have a professional check it at the dealership but quick question do you think I still have my factory warranty?
Yes, just not on the damaged parts is all . Fair is fair . :)

·
Banned
71 Posts
While you are at the Dealer , get the MoCo Service Manual and the Parts Book. Even if you don't plan on doing your own wrenching, the books will help you . :thumb

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,468 Posts
If you get a chance get the" Ride like a Pro " video, its a great help for a new rider.
While you are at the Dealer , get the MoCo Service Manual and the Parts Book. Even if you don't plan on doing your own wrenching, the books will help you . :thumb
Both of the above...excellent tips for you!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't be upset about dropping it (even though I know it's hard to NOT be upset). There are two kinds of motorcycle riders. Ones that have dropped it and ones that will drop it. Get it looked at by your dealer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least I got the drop out of the way smh I'm in a MSF class 2 more range classes to go. I'm just worried today while on the bike I pulled the clutch in to stop at a light and when I reved the throttle it sounded like it wanted to shut off . it was different

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

Yep, just about all of us have dropped our beautiful machines. Consider it a learning experience. Evaluate what went wrong, log it in your mental computer, don't let it happen again.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma; Bronxiron. Great folks here and tons of technical information to search thru. Drops happen; we get up and dust ourselves off, get back on and go forward again.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
If you get a chance get the" Ride like a Pro " video, its a great help for a new rider.
+1 on RLAP. Don't feel bad, more people than not, have dropped their bike at some point. Gravel can be a bitch. Ride safe and enjoy. :ride

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Yep, just about all of us have dropped our beautiful machines. Consider it a learning experience. Evaluate what went wrong, log it in your mental computer, don't let it happen again.
This^^^ Welcome from Illinois, and welcome to the drop club, your card is in the mail.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome. :welcome

WATCH OUT FOR GRAVEL, ESPECIALLY IN THE SPRING. Watch for it at intersections as well. Head on a swivel!!

Good advice, take it to the dealer, and have them give it a once over. It will give you peace of mind. Your warranty is fine, just not on the scratched parts, like mentioned. :D

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
Drops happen. I dropped my Vrod backing into a parking spot at the VFW about 6 months back. Been riding since 1974 or so. Just got the weight wrong going backwards and could not hold it up. Set it down picked it up. Harder on the ego than the bike.

I would, however, like to hear a little more detail on the drop if you don't mind. Giving these details will allow you to think it through and allow the experience on this forum to respond and give you more to think about. (Some of these guys took deliver of HD UL new) lol!

Was there front wheel slide?

Was there whiskey throttle?

Did it fish hook?

We're your feet behind rear wheels when it went down?

Where were your feet?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Since you dropped it on the right (exhaust) side, it probably landed on the thrittle grip and jammed it. Now the throttle could be dragging, binding, or at least out of adjustment. This should be checked immediately because it could be a safety issue.

Welcome from Baton Rouge! It's rare that a new rider can get through the begiinner learning experience without dropping it. And it may not be your last time--- don't ask me how I know this. :D

--

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@bbally I made a right turn into a driveway it's a up hill the rear sliped into the left I jumped off first reaction .question I have about a $1000 in damage, front brake lever ,heat shields ,rear signal , rear brake lever small dent in tank on my brand new bike .should I use my insurance to replace parts I have a $ 300 deductible will it raise my premium? Thanks

·
Registered
39,534 Posts
Whenever you make a claim against your insurance, premiums will go up.

Might check into one of those paintless dent repair places to see if they can fix the dent for you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts