Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I actually just started working at HD of NYC, down in Tribeca. Still need to get my first bike, which seems weird, I know. I've been wanting one since I was a kid, but money and circumstances always prevented it. Thankfully not anymore. Now I'm torn between a 72 Sportster and a Night Rod as my first bike. Big difference. But while I like the 72, I know I'll get bored and want to move up within a year. The Night Rod is like the dream bike for me, but not exactly a beginners bike. Any advice would be great :) Either on here, or you can come in and smack me in the head for the Night Rod as a first bike.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
1st of all Do you know how to ride ? If NOT get that done with 1st then worry about what Bike to get. IF you already have your endorsement then get the Bike you want the 1st time and get it over with. Most guys or Girls get a sporty and 6 months later their ready to move up. My 1st Harley was a full dressed Bagger and never looked back. I've had about 8 of them so far !

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Hey all. I actually just started working at HD of NYC, down in Tribeca. Still need to get my first bike, which seems weird, I know. I've been wanting one since I was a kid, but money and circumstances always prevented it. Thankfully not anymore. Now I'm torn between a 72 Sportster and a Night Rod as my first bike. Big difference. But while I like the 72, I know I'll get bored and want to move up within a year. The Night Rod is like the dream bike for me, but not exactly a beginners bike. Any advice would be great :) Either on here, or you can come in and smack me in the head for the Night Rod as a first bike.
Thanks,
Brian
Welcome from Kentucky. I've never been on a Night Rod so I won't say anything about them. But regarding the 72, nice looking bike. But I would have to like them a lot more than I do to get one and put up with that damn 2.1 gallon fuel tank. Think about it. Riding around town is bad enough but just wait till you want to ride 100 miles or more somewhere. Every time you need to scratch your arse you will likely need to fill up again also. If you're sold on a Sportster please consider the 1200 Custom with a 4.5 gallon tank. Just my .02 worth.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Regardless of what you get as a first, second, third, or beyond bike.
Remember. The potential power of that bike is in your right hand.

:welcome

·
American
28,714 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Welcome aboard from the South Coast of Mississippi !

·
Registered
42,162 Posts
I once worked with a guy that I didn't even know he owned a Harley.

He bought a VRod for his first bike, and dumped it several times trying to learn how to ride.

He quit riding altogether within a year cause of the number of times he dumped it.

That big back tire and steering geometry doesn't help with handling, especially for someone inexperienced.

Reactions: Bikersarge

·
Banned
71 Posts
1st of all Do you know how to ride ? If NOT get that done with 1st then worry about what Bike to get. IF you already have your endorsement then get the Bike you want the 1st time and get it over with. Most guys or Girls get a sporty and 6 months later their ready to move up. My 1st Harley was a full dressed Bagger and never looked back. I've had about 8 of them so far !
You Sir, are smarter than the average Bear.............. :thumb

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome from GA! The local HD shop here offers riding classes for beginners if you are wanting to get some seat time before you purchase. Might be something to check into at your HD shop. Might make your decision a little easier. Enjoy the ride which ever you choose.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't worry about the short mileage you get out of the 2.1 gallon peanut tank. With the stock seat you'll be looking to stop and get off the bike after an hour or so :).

Had my 72 for a little over a year and put 4,600 miles on it. Took 3,000 miles to break in the seat :). Since most of my riding was short commuting (12.5 miles each way to work) the short range of the bike wasn't an issue. I was filling up tank about every three days and you're only in the station for 2 minutes. If is a fun bike to ride and I think the styling is one of the nicest in the Harley line-up.

As said, the Sportster is an easy bike to ride. It does have some power on tap but nothing says you have to go full blast the minute you get on any bike. If you're patient, wise and take things slow you can learn the capabilities of the bike as you develop your capabilities. I can't see that the Nightster (1200 engine) would be much different.

Now if you really want to avoid premature frustration and disappointment, and if your wallet allows, go directly to the 103 Dyna series. If you like the 72's styling then maybe a Street Bob (my latest choice). With some experience under my belt with the Street Bob, in my opinion it's as easy to ride as the 72 (this is from the perspective of someone that is 5'6", 165lbs). Again, the extra power you have in the 103 (there is plenty) doesn't have to be immediately dialed in every time you get on the bike. Yes, you can quickly get yourself into trouble but, and to repeat, if you take it slow, take your time learning the potential of the bike as you gain experience, avoid doing stupid stuff you'll be o.k. even with something that isn't normally considered a starter bike.

And I would highly recommended taking the motorcycle safety course if you have minimal two wheel riding experience. The course is more about the general hazards of riding on two wheels versus learning to control large displacement bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts