Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just finished up my installation of the BT2180, 7.1's and a magic box in my 2016 SGS. My first impression is the system sounds way better than stock but I was surprised I was getting some distortion at higher volumes. I checked and rechecked and all wiring looked good. Could this be due to the magic box and/or the flash issue? I have bass/treble control so I lowered the bass to 2 bars below half and the treble is 2 bars above half but the sounds is flat.

The speakers fit nicely in the supplied brackets but I noticed there is a 1/4 inch gap between the speaker/bracket and the fairing. Should that gap be filled in by foam or other material? Should I put some "batting" around the speakers? Someone on the forum suggested that. Also was getting some rattling on the inside of the fairing. I cleaned up the wiring and put bubble wrap around the magic box and set in the open box area to the left of the HU. Now I get a little rattling from the fairing vent when I increase the volume.

Overall I think it's much better but I guess I was expecting to be able to crank it distortion free. Music is supplied by a thumb drive.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? Sure wish someone would figure out the flash issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I only took a few mainly to put things back together. The pods, although a little difficult, came out fine. Had to remove the tank to run power to the battery. The new brackets for the 7.1s went in nicely and fairing lined up good, only slightly off on the right side. Overall install went well, just not pleased with the sound. My expectation was much higher than what I am hearing out of the system. It is certainly flat sound. I can adjust bass/treble but if I adjust base too high, it will distort. The speakers are rated for the amp so I am not sure what is wrong.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If the amp or your magic box is not mounted and padded only with bubble wrap I'm sure that's your rattle. Mount those solid. If you need padding or insulation use the proper products. There are reasons for them products. They work as intended if installed correctly. I have found out that speakers may handle the power by max rating but will only do that well at half power. I usually don't look at max power but rms rating to determine best speaker to use. Bass is really hard to produce in a bike specially at speed. Large speakers and big power definitely helps. I've heard of using padding and packing to help but I haven't experienced that yet.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dyna-Mat is designed for dampening vibration in audio installations, and is the stuff to use in your fairing to calm vibrations and clear up harmonics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dyna-Mat is designed for dampening vibration in audio installations, and is the stuff to use in your fairing to calm vibrations and clear up harmonics.
How do you best install in the inner fairing? Attached to the fairing or wrap over the electronics?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Lot's of cutting and trimming, attach to the fairing, patience is a plus!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts