Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nightster must be doing really well, because the MoCo has just released a new bike called the "Iron 883." It's basically a Nightster with an 883 engine and Low Rider spoke wheels. Other than that and the tank logo design, it's a Nightster.

Attachments

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
This new steed is based on the entry-level Sportster platform and starts at $7,899, which is a full $2,000 cheaper than its larger sibling, the Nightster 1200. The two Sportsers share the same basic design, including a slammed suspension complete with front fork gaiters, solo saddle and foldaway side-mounted license plate holder. The main difference between the two machines lies in the displacement of the fuel-injected V-twin engine, with the new Iron making use of the smaller 883cc jugs, and in the use of 13-spoke wheels on the Iron 883 in lieu of laced rims.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I like it even more than the Nightster.
I like the black better than the gray on the motor.
I think it would be cool with a black exhaust and a 1200 conversion.:)
:thumb

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
It's not a new bike, Harley haven't brought out a new bike since the V Rod, it's just a matt black Nightster with an 883. These new matt colours do nothing for me, it's about time HD actually thought up something new and got someone in who isn't colour blind.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't wanna start a pissing contest here, but if it wasn't in the model lineup at the start of the sales year, then it's a "new" bike. Or new "model," if that's more to your taste. And in my initial post I do believe I said it was nothing more than a Nightster with a smaller engine and different wheels, and Harley is even marketing it as "the Nightster's little brother."

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It's not a new bike, Harley haven't brought out a new bike since the V Rod, it's just a matt black Nightster with an 883.
I agree....but you have to give them half a point in the "new catagory" with the Rocker, despite it being a fat tired softail with a perch for a seat, stretched gas tank and smoothed front fork legs......

I agree in that the Iron 883 is just an 883 with a Nightster rear fender, plate mount and the multi spoke alloy wheels that normally you can't give away, (I sent mine in with my beer can recycling....no kidding) powdercoated black.

At an entry level of $7900.....that's insane.

Powedercoating is 1/10th the price of chrome. That bike should be listed at $5999 and they'd still make good coin.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I agree....but you have to give them half a point in the "new catagory" with the Rocker, despite it being a fat tired softail with a perch for a seat, stretched gas tank and smoothed front fork legs......

I agree in that the Iron 883 is just an 883 with a Nightster rear fender, plate mount and the multi spoke alloy wheels that normally you can't give away, (I sent mine in with my beer can recycling....no kidding) powdercoated black.

At an entry level of $7900.....that's insane.

Powedercoating is 1/10th the price of chrome. That bike should be listed at $5999 and they'd still make good coin.
Can't say the Rocker does anything for me either, and I do like Softails. Cross bones is OK except for the paint options ( or lack of ), but i can't see how they did away with the Heritage Springer with chrome forks ,bags ,screen and passing lamps.
oh I forgot it's all about the money.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Cross bones is OK except for the paint options ( or lack of ).....
Well, honestly, it's just a Badboy with a 200mm rear tire, higher bars and a solo-spring mounted seat. Not new. Not original, but a nice touch, IMHO.

Considering an HD engine is simple WWII technology with a new ECU and twin cams now, it's hard to change what it is, unless you go out of the box.....Hence the V-Rod.

It is what it is........

·
Registered
50 Posts
A V-Rod is a Harley? I do see a lot of them being used as doorstops in Harley dealerships.
Most people that ride Harleys like them and don't want radical changes.
I've never been a big Sportster fan, but I think the blacked out ones are very nicely styled. This is the first I've seen of the Iron883. Thanks for posting about it.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
A V-Rod is a Harley? I do see a lot of them being used as doorstops in Harley dealerships.
Most people that ride Harleys like them and don't want radical changes.
I've never been a big Sportster fan, but I think the blacked out ones are very nicely styled. This is the first I've seen of the Iron883. Thanks for posting about it.

Sure is. Mine does have a use in relation to doors, It blows them off.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
A V-Rod is a Harley?
um you know what..

no .. i am not going there.. SO not worth wasting the typing on going off on some one with such a closed mind

oh what the hell.. even though the point will probably be lost on you ...i feel fiesty

first off.. i agree 1000% EZE... about the relation to doors

if the v-rod is such an outcast please explain 30K members at the 1130 site? and not even all owners are there..

all i will say .. cause really i am not wasting typing is.. when you are pulled off the side of the road to let your technological dinosaur cool off.. i will be the one flying by you giving you the low wave with my water cooled awesomely engineered bike..

and i will wave cause i like all bikes.. not just the TWO i have

·
Registered
39,542 Posts
when you are pulled off the side of the road to let your technological dinosaur cool off.. i will be the one flying by you giving you the low wave with my water cooled awesomely engineered bike..
That sounds like something I would expect to read at 1130cc.com. Let's leave the fantasies over there please.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
A V-Rod is a Harley? I do see a lot of them being used as doorstops in Harley dealerships
HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

3 posts!
And he's gonna tell Eze, and me and Olive and Lil,
with almost 10,000 posts between us,
that WE DON'T RIDE A REAL HARLEY!!
THIS IS TOO RICH!
HAW HAW HAW

·
What?
3,256 Posts
:hitfan

:popcorn

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
my post isnt fantasy.. my bike has NEVER over heated..

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Sure is. Mine does have a use in relation to doors, It blows them off.
Just wanted to clarify this statement. Blows "them" off. Refers to stock cruiser style bikes.

There are one or two guys on this forum that would blow my doors off with their air cooled bikes.

I think we can all agree that any Harley is a good Harley.

Me? I love every motorcycle that I've seen so far and I dont expect that to change anytime soon.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
I won't react if someone says "V-Rods? Not for me, can't stand 'em."
Well, I shouldn't, I might have. but I don't intend to. That's their right.
There's Harley models I'm not planning on ever having one of my own.

But don't come into our hangout, where there is normally a pretty good respect for all tastes and styles,
and think you're gonna get any respect, let alone a second, for that that dickless old V-Rod's a doorstop at the dealership kind of crap.
That's somebody trying to get a bunch of seconds, start up a chorus of "we're better than them, ain't we boys."

I can't find production figures, but I'll bet they are well over 100,000 and if HD were to subtract those figures from sales in most of the years since the V-Rod has been released, it would leave a bottom line balance sheet that would describe a VERY MUCH less successful and robust company.

I didn't tolerate the V-Rod forums occasional foray into "Airhead" bashing either,
I don't go in there much, I found myself compelled to get loud and rude too often.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts