Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 FLHX stock 96 motor. Before I took delivery in 09 I had the HD dealer install Rinehart slip on and a Screaming Eagle High flow air filter plus the Screaming Eagle Tuner. About a year ago I had mini apes installed and everything was fine. Back at the end of June I went to indy shop (I trust this shop the same that instaled bars) and had S&S 585 cams installed on their suggestion based on my needs. Before I picked the bike up they started getting the service engine light and codes where coming up. They mapped and remapped, The bike will start off at 1200-1300 rpm and then idle down to 700 rpm as it warms and it start o load up (yes running rich).. They had me take the bike home and ride and lets see what happen..Rode abbout 200 miles and noticed my mpg was cut in half and finally the service engine came on but went out after it cooled down and yes it gave codes (can provide if needed)..Took bike back and they have replaced the throttle body,TPS, throttle sensor and engine heat sensor have not replace 02 sensor yet will on Monday..They took bike to HD dealer for diag and they advise that the codes lead to the throttle sensor wich they replaced and no change..The bike runs like the choke is on (I know it is a EFI). We are now thinking it maybe the ECM (after 02 sensor can not think of anything else to replace).They tell me the bike just will not hold a new map no matter what they do it reverts back to code of to running rich...At a lost..

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
You could have a fuel intake leak. That would explain the high idle at startup then when it warms up and everything expands it seals the leak. Your ECM can not keep up with the extreme changes of lean to rich conditions.
Check your intake manifold to be sure it is tight and check your intake seals to see that they are not pinched.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info..Here are the codes that came up after my 200 mile ride:p=PO0132=oxy sensor high,,S=PO0152=rear oxy sensor to high,, S=PO0154 rear oxy sensor not active,,P=1655 ACR solenoid low(i do not have automatic compression release) T=PO505=loss of idle speed control..According to shop the code now is running to rich..

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the info..Here are the codes that came up after my 200 mile ride:p=PO0132=oxy sensor high,,S=PO0152=rear oxy sensor to high,, S=PO0154 rear oxy sensor not active,,P=1655 ACR solenoid low(i do not have automatic compression release) T=PO505=loss of idle speed control..According to shop the code now is running to rich..

I would definately check the intake and exhaust gaskets for leaks. Leaks would set off your oxygen sensor codes and the ecm could be trying to compensate for the lean mixture making the bike run rich.
I am not a expert but I would find another mechanic and check it out.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Its running full rich due to a condition making it run lean. Can't compensate enough to correct issue to please ecu. Find air leak. Unplug fuel/mgmnt unit and see if idle corrects.

·
Registered
425 Posts
On cars we see at the shop, we use a smoke machine to check for intake leaks, block off the air intake and inject smoke into a vacuum port.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
On cars we see at the shop, we use a smoke machine to check for intake leaks, block off the air intake and inject smoke into a vacuum port.
Who holds the bong? Lol

I keed......... :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not a mechanic so I am going to ask. Is the S&S 585 cams to much for a stock 2009 96" motor? If so, could this be the problem with the idle issue? The only factual thing I know is the propblem started right after the cams were installed and I mean immediately with no issues at all prior to the new cams

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
No.. The cams arent the issue. Likely its the mapping in your fuel management system.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I had 585 cams in a 97" that used to be an 88" and it ran fine I had to install bigger valve springs with the extra lift of the 585's . Your symptoms sound like you have a leak in your intake and/or your exhaust. Have a different shop check and maybe replace the intake and exhaust gaskets then have it re-tuned. I would bet that cures the problem.

I just had a 107" built and had intake and exhaust issues myself.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am hopefull..After checking and checking and making sure everything was done right the shop decided to call a Harley shop in the area and speak with the owner who actually still works on bikes (my mechanic is friends with).He advise to check the injectors that it sounds like they are stuck open. that is why the bike runs good at speed and loads up at idle and why my mpg was cut in half. This has made the most since so far.We will find out tomorrow..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of today problem still not fixed.. The new injectors did help but bike still wants to idle down after it heats up..Bike is now at H-D dealer.They have advise that the bike does not show any codes but they do acknowledge the low idle condition..They plan to look at wiring issues on Monday.Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bent Valve

The H-D dealer told me they believe my issue is due to a rear bent valve..This could explain alot.. They checked the pressure and it does appear the valave is bent. The indy dealer is the one that took it to the harley shop so I told them to call my indy and tell them what they think they have found..I guess I will find out tomorrow what kind indy dealer I am dealing with. In my opinion there ain't but one way this happened... I do understand sh-- happens but to take over a month and half to figure out..

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am having the same problem of getting the ECM code indicating a "Rich" fuel mixture and last week when I had the bike in for a small electrical snafu the dealer told me one or both of my o2 sensors are bad which is causing the code "Thanks to my original dealer installing them n a swapped position" They screwed with it for a month and redynod the bike 3 times before I got frustrated and took it to a differant dealer whos dyno tech spotted the swapped 02 sensors within the first run on the dyno". So now I have spent over 13k at the new dealer with this one guy doing all of my work. After this young man did all my motor work the cams springs Pistons ported Heads throttle body etc the bikes idle sounded low to me so I asked the Mechanic who came out and listened to it at Idle his response was "Hmmmm sounds mean" Then with a smile told me "Its the lope Rick its just the cams doing thier job and you have to realize this is not the same engine it was when we started". Then he explained to me that some of the sounds I was hearing like the new noise coming out of the heavy Breather is actually the valves opening and closing and its a much more pronounced sound due to the elevated lift of the new cams and the radical change in compression after all the stuff we did. So I am hearing it becouse the engine has more lift and allot more going on with it. But it didn't take long before I got used to it and actually I love that chunky mean Idle and explosive ignition. My point bieng the cams will change the sounds you are used to hearing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took scoot to the HD shop and they have advised that it appears the ECM is bad and not only do I have to replace the ECM but I have to buy a new race tuner. Thanks HD motor company for not having the tech smarts to be able to reset my tuner to work with the new ECM that your dealer is telling u and me it is bad..I called HD customer service asking for some assitance since my ECM was just a couple of months out of the 5 year warranty,,was not asking for a free one, this was the biggest waste of time ever and the sorriest and unsympathetic customer service I have ever had to deal with. I do want to give some Kudos to Fuel Moto switching to a Commander 5, ordered on Monday and will have it Thursday mapped with the exact stuff I have done to my bike and ready to go..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts