Harley Davidson Forums banner

New Cams/Low Idle

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  09flhxbiker 
#1 ·
I have a 09 FLHX stock 96 motor. Before I took delivery in 09 I had the HD dealer install Rinehart slip on and a Screaming Eagle High flow air filter plus the Screaming Eagle Tuner. About a year ago I had mini apes installed and everything was fine. Back at the end of June I went to indy shop (I trust this shop the same that instaled bars) and had S&S 585 cams installed on their suggestion based on my needs. Before I picked the bike up they started getting the service engine light and codes where coming up. They mapped and remapped, The bike will start off at 1200-1300 rpm and then idle down to 700 rpm as it warms and it start o load up (yes running rich).. They had me take the bike home and ride and lets see what happen..Rode abbout 200 miles and noticed my mpg was cut in half and finally the service engine came on but went out after it cooled down and yes it gave codes (can provide if needed)..Took bike back and they have replaced the throttle body,TPS, throttle sensor and engine heat sensor have not replace 02 sensor yet will on Monday..They took bike to HD dealer for diag and they advise that the codes lead to the throttle sensor wich they replaced and no change..The bike runs like the choke is on (I know it is a EFI). We are now thinking it maybe the ECM (after 02 sensor can not think of anything else to replace).They tell me the bike just will not hold a new map no matter what they do it reverts back to code of to running rich...At a lost..

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info..Here are the codes that came up after my 200 mile ride:p=PO0132=oxy sensor high,,S=PO0152=rear oxy sensor to high,, S=PO0154 rear oxy sensor not active,,P=1655 ACR solenoid low(i do not have automatic compression release) T=PO505=loss of idle speed control..According to shop the code now is running to rich..

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I am not a mechanic so I am going to ask. Is the S&S 585 cams to much for a stock 2009 96" motor? If so, could this be the problem with the idle issue? The only factual thing I know is the propblem started right after the cams were installed and I mean immediately with no issues at all prior to the new cams

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I am hopefull..After checking and checking and making sure everything was done right the shop decided to call a Harley shop in the area and speak with the owner who actually still works on bikes (my mechanic is friends with).He advise to check the injectors that it sounds like they are stuck open. that is why the bike runs good at speed and loads up at idle and why my mpg was cut in half. This has made the most since so far.We will find out tomorrow..

Discussion starter · #17 ·
As of today problem still not fixed.. The new injectors did help but bike still wants to idle down after it heats up..Bike is now at H-D dealer.They have advise that the bike does not show any codes but they do acknowledge the low idle condition..They plan to look at wiring issues on Monday.Any thoughts?

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Bent Valve

The H-D dealer told me they believe my issue is due to a rear bent valve..This could explain alot.. They checked the pressure and it does appear the valave is bent. The indy dealer is the one that took it to the harley shop so I told them to call my indy and tell them what they think they have found..I guess I will find out tomorrow what kind indy dealer I am dealing with. In my opinion there ain't but one way this happened... I do understand sh-- happens but to take over a month and half to figure out..

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Took scoot to the HD shop and they have advised that it appears the ECM is bad and not only do I have to replace the ECM but I have to buy a new race tuner. Thanks HD motor company for not having the tech smarts to be able to reset my tuner to work with the new ECM that your dealer is telling u and me it is bad..I called HD customer service asking for some assitance since my ECM was just a couple of months out of the 5 year warranty,,was not asking for a free one, this was the biggest waste of time ever and the sorriest and unsympathetic customer service I have ever had to deal with. I do want to give some Kudos to Fuel Moto switching to a Commander 5, ordered on Monday and will have it Thursday mapped with the exact stuff I have done to my bike and ready to go..

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Going to try make a long 2 month story short...The indy dlr sent scoot to HD shop a few times trying to get and idea what was wrong, the indy dlr went back & forth checking to make sure cams were installed correctly. The HD shop actually told them to try a few things that did not work, like changing some sensors. The last time the Indy dealer sent bike to HD they advised that the rear cylinder was losing compression and they thought it might be a bent valve since cams had just been installed, indy dlr tore in and found that there was alot of carbon build up and need to do a valve job, i saw everything and it did need to be cleaned up no bent valve, heads and valves sent off to machine shop to be cleaned up. did not fix or change the problem bikestill did not want to hold low idle. I took bike to HD shop and said FIX IT!! They called and advised they were pretty sure it was a ECM issue...During the 2 months i do not how many times everybody would say it is just very rare for the ECM to go bad (even HD shop)..Power Commander arrived today and we should find out tomorrow if problem finally solved..The Indy shop did not charge me for anything they did except for the valve job..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.