Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time post but I have been reading and have gotten plenty of good information in the past. I have a '08 Street Glide and I was having problems when starting it sounded like something was going to come out the side of the bike. Reading the forum I found that it was the compensator so I figured I could change this part looks pretty simple so while I am in the primary I would go ahead and upgrade the clutch plates to the SE Clutch. All good so far I put all parts in very simple straight forward stuff, when I picked up the oil the guys at the local shop suggested a 20-50 in all 3 holes. I did this and soaked my clutch in the oil too. The problem is now when I put my bike in gear it wants to go I can hold it back but if I pick my feet up it will take off with me holding the clutch in. I can feel the difference when I let out the clutch so I know the cable is pulling in the clutch. Any ideas on how to stop this problem?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Most likely either the cable or clutch itself was not adjusted correctly when re-assembled. Double check everything.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The adjustment screw behind the derby cover manages the "slack" in the plates. If you're not careful, you can tighten it when you tighten the lock nut. If you accidentally tighten it, there's not enough slack between the plates to let them slip when spring pressure is off of them.

The easiest way to do it is with a "T" style allen key and an off-set box wrench. Tighten the center stud until you feel it seat the plates (it'll snug up some) then back it out a half turn. Hold it there with one hand and tighten the outer lock nut with the other.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
When adjusting make sure you also slacked the cable and make proper adjustment after clutch pack adjustment... assuming you have cable operated clutch.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is out of adjustment. As state earlier, add a lot of slack to clutch cable, then adjust clutch as described, then adjust the cable to give you about 1/16" to 1/8" of free play at the end of the cable ferrule and the clutch cable bracket on the handle bar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your replies. As far as putting the plates in I know that was done correctly. When i could not get it to release I second guessed myself and pulled it all apart again. With the SE clutch plates you have very few parts that are installed so I know that is done correctly.
When i adjusted the clutch I followed the procedures of giving slack to the cable as much as I could the clutch lever moved all the way back to the handle grip. I screwed the allen just to the point I made contact and then back off a full turn and tightened up the jam nut without moving the allen that made no difference, Then I have tried setting it several times with screwing it in till I had moderate pressure then backing off and locking it down nothing I do changes the outcome. The synthetic 20-50 I used was very sticky when I was putting the plates together to the point that I had to slide the plates apart to separate them. I am thinking I will drop the 20-50 and put in a regular 10-40 and see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thank you for your replies. As far as putting the plates in I know that was done correctly. When i could not get it to release I second guessed myself and pulled it all apart again. With the SE clutch plates you have very few parts that are installed so I know that is done correctly.
When i adjusted the clutch I followed the procedures of giving slack to the cable as much as I could the clutch lever moved all the way back to the handle grip. I screwed the allen just to the point I made contact and then back off a full turn and tightened up the jam nut without moving the allen that made no difference, Then I have tried setting it several times with screwing it in till I had moderate pressure then backing off and locking it down nothing I do changes the outcome. The synthetic 20-50 I used was very sticky when I was putting the plates together to the point that I had to slide the plates apart to separate them. I am thinking I will drop the 20-50 and put in a regular 10-40 and see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Changing oil to 10W40 will make no difference in clutch operation.

When you screw the screw in, does it touch solid ? Run it in until it touches, then back off 1/2 turn.

How much slack is in your clutch handle ? Leave 1/8 - 3/16 slack in handle . Clutch should start to engage halfway out from grips .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I ran the screw in till what i would call solid backed it off a little more than half and locked it in. I set the cable to have about 1/4 free play as shown in the shop guide. It said to pull the clutch handle 3 times fully to set the ball if this is what you are talking about.

Again thanks for the help this is frustrating.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Don't know what you mean by solid, but you should be turning the screw until you feel some resistance, then back off. Not until it gets tight.

·
Registered
39,536 Posts
Did you set the ball before or after adjusting the clutch basket?

If after, you need to re-adjust the clutch basket.

Don't know what you mean by solid, but you should be turning the screw until you feel some resistance, then back off. Not until it gets tight.
Turn the screw in until you feel it just touching, then back off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay thanks for all the information. Tonight i had the time I took it all back down. The problem was an ill fitting clutch plate. It was the last plate I put on originally I had to use pressure to get it to go on. So this was the cause of the plates not releasing. I seen the high spot in the ring I shaved it down till it fit properly put it in first so it did not have to move closed it all up adjusted the clutch I did go back with regular oil and it works perfectly. The SE clutch with the heavy spring pulls hard but it does wake the bike up also I changed to the SE Compensator kit at the same time the bike is much smoother and it starts like a dream. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
39,536 Posts
That's what we like to hear. :thumb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts