Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 FLSTC Soft Tail Heritage Deluxe
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago I decided to get the bike repainted to make it look new again, doing that meant I had to loose the decals as I couldn't find the originals again, that is till now.

Anyhow, I have the new "original decals" on the way to me but am wondering what the best way is to put them on so they are even and the same on both sides?

And here are the decals on the bike prior to being repainted:

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I have no clue how the factory or paint shops do this!

That being said. Have you ever watched a swimming pool get tiled? They get that watermark dead center of a tile all the way around the pool. How?

Use a length of clear tubing to make a long bubble. With the tube running below the fuel tank and up on both sides (the bike must be leveled left to right first on a jack). Decide your forward and aft points of the stickers. place one tube just ahead and another just behind the sticker (Make the distance from the tube as near the same as you can. Partly fill each tube to give the reference height of the ends of the sticker on each side equally.

Picture a U of tubing left to right with the fuel tank resting somewhere near the bottom of the U. This tube can run down to the floor or just under the tank no difference. Level is level. Wherever the waterline is on one end, the other will be the exact same. (NO AIR POCKETS IN THE TUBE are allowed!)

Both ends of both tubes must be open and well above the reference line. The stickers will be exactly level with each other...

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Another way is with the tanks removed. Make a height gauge that will rest on a table, standing adjacent to the fuel tank.
indicate on the gauge where you want the forward end of the sticker. Then again where you want the aft end of the sticker. Apply one sticker then use the gauge to mark the placement of the 2nd side.

Reactions: wombat457

·
Registered
44,218 Posts
A little while ago I decided to get the bike repainted to make it look new again, doing that meant I had to loose the decals as I couldn't find the originals again, that is till now.

Anyhow, I have the new "original decals" on the way to me but am wondering what the best way is to put them on so they are even and the same on both sides?

And here are the decals on the bike prior to being repainted:

View attachment 809896

Get some 1/8" pinstriping tape to use as alignment markers.

Lay down a stripe from the front inside edge, remove your console and laydown another stripe from the corners under the console to the top of where you want the decal to be, and a 3rd from the rear part under the the tank strip to where you want the trailing edge to be. Do the same thing for the other side making identical lengths of pinstriping tape.

Once the decal has been placed, easy enough to remove the locating tape strips.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Now, someone tell us how the pro's do it!

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Our paint shop goes off the rivet / panel locations on the aircraft. To paint the lettering on.

Reactions: wombat457

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gents - I kinda figured there wasn't going to be an easy way of doing this. Might have to take the bike (and decals) to my favorite body shop and have them do it.

At least that way if t6hey don't work out I'll have someone to blame :)

·
Registered
44,218 Posts
Thanks gents - I kinda figured there wasn't going to be an easy way of doing this. Might have to take the bike (and decals) to my favorite body shop and have them do it.

At least that way if t6hey don't work out I'll have someone to blame :)
You would want the decals to be cleared over anyway. This will make it so the decals are blended in with the paint, wont be able to feel the edges of the decals.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would want the decals to be cleared over anyway. This will make it so the decals are blended in with the paint, wont be able to feel the edges of the decals.
Yep, I considered that as well. To be perfectly serious for the moment, I think my best bet is to take it to me local body shop and have them put them on then clear coat them. Might cost a bit but at least I know they will be done right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts