Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am sure its pretty simple but my duals arrived today. Have to go in the morning and pick them up. true duals and rush mufflers. My questions is this, is there any special tricks I need to know, is there anything that doesn't come with the pipes or mufflers I will need that didn't come with it?
Normally I would just look to see what I have vs what I need but I cant get the parts till morning and I am no wheres near the dealer and the parts are at the post office...

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Robber bands, duct tape, staples and super glue. Don't bother with the standard issue fasteners...

Just kiddin'! I don't know what to tell you other than to try a search here, check youtube for pipe installation (motorcycle), or just wait for someone to come along who knows.

When I got my true duals, my bike was in the shop already having a once-over done, so I just took 'em to 'em and had 'em add 'em. (How ya like that? I was a poet once. I like to see how many times I can use the same word in one sentence.)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I dont' think the install is all that tough, it's the re-mapping of the engine that requires the pro's from what I understand.

I just had duals and air cleaner put on and it was recommended I get the engine remapped as the bike may run will run very lean because the 02 sensors are a narrow band and it will run on the extreme edge of lean meaning very hot.

With the stage 1 and the mufflers it makes a very noticeable improvement in power and performance.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
You will most likely have to reuse the retainer rings and the bolt flanges from your stock exhaust.

You should replace the gaskets. However, I have reused them temporarily.

Also, there is probably an instruction sheet with your new system.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Is it going on a fat boy? If so you will need a 1/2 inch flexible socket so you can remove the exhaust from the heads. A universal flex and a 1/2 socket will not work I tried. You will also need a 1/2 open end crows foot to get at the rear cylinder inside exhaust nut to tighten back on. With the new crossover pipe the socket will not work. I just put Sampson true duals on my 2012 Deluxe and you will need these 2 tools.
You will also need a t45 torx T handle with a long shaft so you can remove your rear foot pegs. They have to be relocated because the new exhaust brackets will take the holes. When you relocate the foot pegs you also need a set of snap ring pliers for the foot pegs. Once you remove all of the stock exhaust brackets and foot pegs, in the rear there are plastic plugs that you need to remove and replace. Trust me the only way to get them out is to take a screw and screw it in the center and pull the required plugs out. These plugs can be purchased at any Harley dealer. Then you need to relocate your coil ,you need to remove your seat so you can get at the stock coil bracket. I mention all of this because the instructions suck but its not that hard with the right tools. If you need any further help just shoot me a PM.
P.S I had to buy longer rear pegs because the passengers foot ends up really close to the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol my bad bud. But thanks for the help. I cant seem to figure out how to change my profile pic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts