Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres one for you guru's out there. I am buying Vance & Hines true duals tomorrow. The part # is 16799. I currently have the factory exhaust with the "Y" connection on the rear cylinder and have Samson slip on's. I will be taking the factory exhaust headers off and replacing with the true dual exhaust, and utilizing my Samson slip on's with the new Vance & Hines exhaust.

Question. Since I have the screamin eagle race tuner (stage 1) already in place, after the installation will I have to retune/remap the tuner for the new exhaust?

Should I just put them on and drive the bike for awhile and see how she reacts to the new setup? If so what am I looking for during driving to see if all is well?

Also, to any who have done this swap. Is the change out difficult? I plan on doing the work myself due to the fact that Harley wants 445.50 to do the work.

I was told if I needed a remap it would be 99.00 from Harley.

Appreciate your help

Regards
Glenn Williams

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You will certainly change the flow characteristics of the exhaust. I'm sure that it would benefit from being re-tuned. Although, if the bike runs alright, it may not be completely necessary. If you aren't getting any decel popping, and the plugs stay a nice tan color, you are probably okay in terms of air/fuel ratio. If it pops and/or the plugs are ash white after some use, you are too lean.

I jsut learned that removing the exhaust is not at all difficult - especially on a touring bike. Just make sure you spray all the nuts down with penetrating oil and let them sit for a while before you try to break them loose. I think it is easier to remove all of the heat shields completely before to take the pipes off, but you can work around them if you want to.

The MoCo recommends that you replace the clamps for the mufflers, but you can re-use those also as long as they are not too rusted. A little extra penetrating oil on the splines of the bolt in the clamp will help make sure they tighten back up. The reason they recommend replacement is that they can bind up on those splines and not tighten well. If you want to replace them, they are usually in stock at the dealer. I think they are about $12-13 a piece.

You'll also need a set of exhaust gaskets. They can't be re-used very easily. They're $6-7 each at the dealer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I calculated replacing all the old hardware and gaskets at around 40 bucks or so. I have been wanting true duals since I bought the bike. It has a nice sound now but the heat on our upper thighs (my wife and I) is unbearable during the summer months. With the new exhaust it is much lower so I am hoping it will help out somewhat.

I bought my bike used and although it came with the screamin eagle race tuner it did not come with the cables. If I purchase the cables is it hard to reprogram the tuner myself or is it rocket science?

Thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Are the V&H head pipes ceramic lined? I know that the Rush true duals are, and a lot of folks say those help a great deal with managing the discomfort from heat.

I don't know anything about the SERT. I have used Power Commanders on the two H-Ds I have re-tuned.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that the V&H are not ceramic lined. I will ask about the cable tomorrow when I buy the new headers.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
After the change, your tune will be close. but for optimum performance in all areas, you will probably need to have it re-tuned
I just changed my exhaust from the OEM head pipes w/cat and SE Slip-ons to V&H Powerduals and V&H Hi-Flow Slip-ons back in January. But I have it in the dealer right now to have it re-tuned. It was pretty close, but I could tell that it was not totally right. the biggest problem that I found was a flat spot right off idle. it didn't do it all the time and was most prevelant before it was warmed up good.

So how does your dealer come up with the $445 for the install? My dealer only charged me 2 hours for putting on the new exhaust which only adds up to about $160. so something is up with your dealer if that price is just for the install. now if that includes install and tuning (depending on what/how they tune) you are getting a little closer. if they are just doing a download, then there is not actual cost for that other than labor time for the download. and at my dealer that is just an 1.5 hrs. so should be about 3.5 hours total labor. so what does your dealer charge for labor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts