Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByMO Free1369943355.504175.jpg

I got these pipes off a local custom bike shop. He gave me them for 20 bucks. They came with the header pipes too but I will not be using them. He said they were off a 90s sportster. Obviously they are screamin eagles but I'm wondering if anyone knows what model they are it if they are any good. I heard that the newer screamin eagles are quiet. These have removable baffles so I'm curious if I should take them out before I even put them on or if it will sound decent. Thanks a lot for any and all opinions

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I would consider them free flowing.....even drag pipes have baffles, unless ya take'um out. When ya take the baffles out, ya loose a lot of bottom end torque.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes my pipes now are open. I made them myself LOL. They are loud but like you said my sporty's a dog on the bottom end. I just found a part number on the mounting tab on the pipes. It actually says they're for a softail and they're screamin eagle shotguns. Still have no idea if they're any good. I figured for 20 bucks it was a steal.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Yes my pipes now are open. I made them myself LOL. They are loud but like you said my sporty's a dog on the bottom end. I just found a part number on the mounting tab on the pipes. It actually says they're for a softail and they're screamin eagle shotguns. Still have no idea if they're any good. I figured for 20 bucks it was a steal.

Modify the baffles and put em back in. Cheap, sounds good and you can maintain torque.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In what way should I modify the baffles? I've heard of cutting out the "glass." I looked inside these pipes with a flashlight and it looks like there's just steel inside. Hard to explain the shape of the steel. It's sort of like an X inside the pipe if that makes any sense at all. It's symmetrical if you look through the front and thru the back it looks the same. Maybe someone already took out the fiberglass. I'm not sure I'm not the most knowledgable with mufflers

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
In what way should I modify the baffles? I've heard of cutting out the "glass." I looked inside these pipes with a flashlight and it looks like there's just steel inside. Hard to explain the shape of the steel. It's sort of like an X inside the pipe if that makes any sense at all. It's symmetrical if you look through the front and thru the back it looks the same. Maybe someone already took out the fiberglass. I'm not sure I'm not the most knowledgable with mufflers

That's all the fun. I modified mine quite a few times until I found it...

And even now I have some ideas. There are so many things you can do, and I'm not familiar with that exact baffle style. My newer ones are different.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup just 20 bucks and they came with the headers and heat shields too. They had some gold discoloration in one spot where the guy had a shield on the one muffler. I bought this Blue Job polish and it took all the golfing and bluing right off the pipes! They look like new. It even took off the rust marks from the clamps from the shields. I think that may be why so cheap because of the slight discoloration.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
The fiberglass would be wrapped around the baffle so you wouldn't see it just looking through the pipe. Only way to know is to slide the baffles out and see if they are wrapped. If they are, just take all the fiberglass wrap off and put them back in. Make sure you wear a filter mask when you do this and some safety glasses. Immediately wash your clothes separately from the rest of your clothes because all that fiber will float through the air and get all over you.

-Rohan

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got them on! Not as smooth a process as I thought. I had to cut my rear header shorter because of my saddlebags and I had to cut both of my header heat shields shorter too. I just used a grinder with a cutoff wheel. turned out pretty good. They need a bit more adjustment (spin one way or the other a little) but I was in a rush to meet someone with the bike and didn't think it would take as long as it did, as with every other project...I also want to clean up the cuts on my shields with a fine file. I'm going to pull them tomorrow and finish it up. All in all they gave me a lot more low end power I feel like I barely have to hit the throttle anymore and it goes. Much better than my old straight pipes. The cackle on decel is completely gone (which I liked) and it doesn't pop anymore. The sound is a nice deep tone, not crazy loud but not quiet by any means. At idle it's nice and quiet but when you mash it, she screams. I'm gonna run it like it is for a while and if I feel it's not loud enough ill modify the baffles. Ill post some pictures tomorrow! Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts