Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. You can call me "Chief" - I've gone by that name for several years now.

Okay so the reason I am here is because I plan to get back into riding this spring. I live in northern Illinois now, so I have some time here. I should add I haven't held a motorcycle license in over 15 years. My last bike was a '81 WideGlide I sold in 1990. (my first street bike back in '79 was a custom frisco style rigid chopper springer w/ a '61 Panhead motor & 4spd. - learned a lot about riding on that bike). Anyway, I plan to enroll in the Riders Edge course at the local HD dealership and buy a bike at that time. I am considering a new Street Bob. I am almost positive this is will be the bike of choice due to my budget. I am recently retired from the U.S. Navy.

Back in the day, I did my own work on my bikes, but I am wondering if these new bikes are easy to work on? (ie; fuel injection and the new technology) - and while I am at it, I was also wondering if anyone would have opinions regarding my choice of a Street Bob? I want a bike to ride around town and maybe take on road trips. I am 5'11 and tip the scales at 200lbs.

So in closing this looked like a great forum and I hope to learn some new things here. Thanks for your time.

- Chief.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Chief... Good to have you here. Thanks for the service.

You know, just about any H-D can be transformed into a bike for long trips. My favorite long distance H-D was the Wide Glide, even though I ride a Road King now. If the majority of your rides are for around town, with the occasional trip, get the blike that "floats your boat" then get some detachable bags and a shield. Have fun exploring and researching your options. Ask away with any questions.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
New bikes are not bad to work on and suggest that you get a service manual if you plan on doing your own work. My comments on your bike choice is that it's a great choice for your use and budget. Welcome to the forum your in the right place.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the best lil' spot on the face of the Internet!

A windshield and good set of luggage will get you anywhere you want to go. Lots more electronics on the new bikes than your Shovel but you already have an understanding of the 'basics' so with parts and service manuals you should be fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've all made good points. I went to a H-D dealer and sat on the FXDB. Will definitely need highway pegs without forward controls. But that also led me to think the options in foot rests might be a good thing especially around town? The only way to be sure will be a test ride.

Thanks everyone, let's grab a beer and talk bikes.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome Chief from San Marcos, Tejas. Thanks for the service you did for our country.
Gateway to the Hill Country & Devils Backbone.
Gotta love them Wide Glide's

·
What?
3,256 Posts
A street bob? Great choice. I bought mine and on the first day had forward controls put on it. But I'm 6'2'', and 280 also. The idea of keeping mid controls and using highway pegs is a good idea. I almost wish I had done that, until I sit on a bike with mid controls and remember there's just too much leg in my case. The FXDB is nimble enough for around town and twisties, and comfortable enough for long rides.

Pick up a factory service owners manual when you get the bike, and you'll be fine.

Good luck on your choice.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Welcome aboard Chief. Great little place here. Lot's of helpful information shared - some really great gals/girls. Welcome and have fun bike shopping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everyone. I've read some real interesting stuff here.

As for shopping - decisions, decisions...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,203 Posts
The idea of keeping mid controls and using highway pegs is a good idea. I almost wish I had done that, until I sit on a bike with mid controls and remember there's just too much leg in my case
Anybody gone to front controls for leg room, and left a set of pegs in mid position for variety?

I come across that leftover hardware once in awhile, haven't really considered putting it back as pegs w/o controls,
as removing clutter seems more desirable than putting any back. But variety might be nice.

2nd the notion that w/ mid controls my LowRider was cramped, even for my 5'10" size.
I had hurt my back about a year before I got back into riding, really didn't much notice the mid controls, specially since my legs aren't real long, but in that 1st month I got bad shooting pains in my hip, right in the butt really, thought sure that back injury was going to ruin my plan to get back into riding, till I figured out it was a thigh cramp, thank heaven.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
IMO it is better to leave the controls on the mid position. Better for aggressive riding, and you can also manipulate the gear shifter with your feet on the forward pegs by using the Achilles tendon area of your heel. Can also brake by using your heel without moving your feet off the forward pegs.

Thats what I miss most about my bike, not having mid controls.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,203 Posts
I'd sure revert to mid pegs to hit a big bump if I had 'em.

I did like those rubber vibration isolating pegs on my old 75 SuperGlide, the rubber cut back and the ball end for spark throwing w/o snagging the pavement was a good design too.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
I had those same pegs on my LowRider, very comfortable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts