Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm from L.I. I'm new to Harley's but have rode for a few years. I actually just inherited my fathers 02 road king. I had unfortunately lost my father to cancer in February. But I'm not here for a sob story but to join the hd community. Looking forward to learning and Being a part of it. - Kenny

Now the second part, the bike won't start. When you press the start button it does a single click. I charged the battery overnight and it's about a year old but even when we replaced the battery it was doing it and occasionally would start. Now nothing. I am pretty handy but I guess just cause it was my dads I'm afraid to touch it or start messing with it. He also had a lot of work done to it. I don't really know where to start. I tried searching for any solutions but i currently am kinda limited do to knowledge of the bike and my tools are currently in storage that I can't get to currently cause of my fathers passing. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome from the islands. I'm sure someone from the forum will b able to help u out.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA. Did you read the voltage and put a load test on the battery after charging? Battery may be toast. Voltage should read 12.7v or better. Load test a sealed battery to check for dead cells. Make sure the cables are clean and tight.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
You can always take it to a parts store and get it checked for free. Like Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc.

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
Pull the battery. Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA, ORielly's...any of the big auto parts stores can check it for you.

Also, check your grounds. A poor ground that worked loose from vibration will prevent starts.

You might be best served by bringing it to a bike mechanic and getting a base line on it so you know what your dealing with.

Good luck and Welcome from VA!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Agreed, it is probably a bad battery. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys. But 2 bad batteries? Also if I disconnect the battery will it have to be re tuned or anything? I know it sounds stupid but I'm just unsure? Also pred8er would it make a clicking noise if there wasn't a complete circuit? I don't wanna bring it to Harley cause from what I hear anything there gets pretty pricey and I don't know about any private places near me.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
no re-tune neccessary as far as I know. does it sound like the bendix is engaging?
[ do Harleys have a bendix?]

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Any "tuning" is flashed to either the ECM or the tuner. Losing power will not affect it in anyway .

It sounds like the battery is at least part of the problem. There could also be problems with wiring and/or the stator that is keeping the battery from charging. As mentioned, there may also be problems with the wiring to the starter. It could be loose or frayed. And, of course, the starter could be bad.

You can try jumping it off with a car, but DO NOT START the car or truck. Just hook the bike up to the car's battery, let it sit for a few minutes and then try to start the bike. To be extra cautious, ground the jumper cables directly to the bike's frame instead of the negative post in the bike's battery.

If it won't start even with a jump, it's time to start tracing wires.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I don't think the stealership would charge over an hour for a diagnosis . Hell , maybe you could cycle through the codes yourself to see what the trouble is .

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Welcome aboard from Houston!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Welcome, im also from Long Island. Take a ride down to Captree state park on a Sunday morning, thats where most people hang out and show off their bikes, its a good time. Thats after you figure out whats going on. I wonder how long the bike was sitting before you got it. Is it cranking at all or just a click. Was the second battery that you tried new? How old is the gas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where are you on "the island"? I'm in Jersey but maybe I can take a ride and help?
I'm out in Suffolk county. About a hour and a half with no traffic from the jersey boarder. I appreciate it but my work schedule is never set in stone. I could be out for a a few hours or for 16 hours in a day. Its always changing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm out in Suffolk county. About a hour and a half with no traffic from the jersey boarder. I appreciate it but my work schedule is never set in stone. I could be out for a a few hours or for 16 hours in a day. Its always changing.
Let us know the outcome, what part of L.I. You from?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm exit 62 off the L.I.E. in Suffolk county. Part of the sachem area.

Thank you everyone so far for the welcoming and input so far. I haven't had a chance to check back on here or take a look at the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright so I found the culprit. My fathers friend had came over and spotted it. Its a chaffed piece of wire to the starter I believe and it was grounding out on the frame. Causing the relay to click but no power to the starter. So we slid a piece of hose over it and started right up. Just gotta replace it now so its back to 100%. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts