Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum today, I've only been riding for half a year now and I am trying to decide which would be a better purchase for commuting 80 miles round trip a day to work...a switchback or road king.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
36,937 Posts
The Road King has a full size touring bike frame (FLH), and the SwitchBack has a Dyna frame with the touring bike front end (FLD).

Depends on how much you think you'd like to have the quick detach windscreen and saddlebags vs having the same frame that the full sized dressers are built around.

·
Indian Larry
8,948 Posts
Welcome from north Texas!
I commute about 120 miles a day. My Deluxe does a good job, however, if I had it to do over, I'd get a King.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Both bikes should be more than comfortable for the commute. Depends on what you do I guess. If you need the larger and more secure storage the RK might be better. Ridewise though, personal taste is different. I don't like riding my buddies RK and he he doesn't care for my Heritage. What bike have you been riding the last 6 months?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Welcome........Can't go wrong with a Road King, great bikes.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Mississippi South Coast!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forums.

Both bikes should be more than comfortable for the commute. Depends on what you do I guess. If you need the larger and more secure storage the RK might be better. Ridewise though, personal taste is different. I don't like riding my buddies RK and he he doesn't care for my Heritage. What bike have you been riding the last 6 months?
I've been riding a Kawasaki Ninja 300.

·
Registered
36,937 Posts
Wow!

Either bike is gonna be a monster compared to that.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Test ride both, then make your choice. The King would be my choice. Alot of aftermarket stuff for them as well. More easily transformed to your personal taste. But that's just me.

·
Registered
36,937 Posts
I've been riding my buddies heritage for the past month so I'm used to the size and power.

The FLD would be on par size wise with the Heritage, the FLH a bit bigger, but with a stiffer frame and larger saddle bags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the dealership today and test rode a few bikes. The RK was a little to big for me and the Switchback shakes a lot. The Softail Deluxe was a more smoother ride so I decided to rent one for this weekend to get a real feel of the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts