Harley Davidson Forums banner

New gal here

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  AKR 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I’m new on here and I just bought a 2007 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I need to replace the tires front and back. What’s the best brand to go with for a reasonable price?

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum from SoCal.
The trick today is to actually touch the tires your buying! Everything on the planet seems to be on a long backorder list.
The tires you put on should match your riding style and environment.

My wife's bike is running the Michelin Commanders. She is definitely not a aggressive rider. Personally, I am not too impressed with the treadwear that she's getting. Traction has been spot on.

I ride quite a bit more aggressive than she does. The tires that were on the bike when i got it were the factory Dunlops. I replaced the front with the Dunlop American Elite, then the rear with the American Elite II. Love em! They stick in wet and dry; Hot and Cold.

Our (my wife and I) riding buddy, Eric. Tears through tires! He rides very aggressive and rides 50x the miles we do. He ran the factory Dunlops, then a set of Commanders, now on his 2nd set of American Elites. He was no fan of the Michelins! They wore in out in 2/3 the mileage compared to the AE's.

The three of us ride in the same area as Manduhlyn.. Southern Cal desert and mountains. FWIW. (I check tire pressures every weekend before we ride.)

#9 · (Edited)
welcome aboard from s.e. kansas. american elites are the top of the food chain. i get 23,000 ish miles on the rears on my untras. and 45,000 ish on fronts. they cost more but well worth it. if you are going to ride modest amounts / year like less than 5 or 6 thousand miles the 402 dunlops that come on harleys new may be your best buy. they should give you good service unless you are an aggressive rider. congrats on. do you know how many miles the tires on your bike have on them. you might post pic of em. they may be better than you think. congrats on your new scoot, enjoy it. glad to have you with us. there is a lot of harley info available on this site and members who are glad to help you out. whao i had to edit that it's 23,000 ish on rear elites. not 33.

#12 ·
So true! My son prefers to run Shinkos on his 1800 VTX. They are sticky! His indy provides free install though! (otherwise the labor cost would eat any savings). A shaft drive is much less labor intensive to R & R rear tires.

#16 ·
I've run Shinko's when money was tite in the past. They are sticky! My Street Glide came with brand new Michelin Commander III's. After riding in the rain I swapped them for Dunlop Elites. Couldn't be happier. Better traction in wet weather and I'm happy with dry pavement cornering performance also. I've put over 12,000 miles on them, no cupping and wear bars not even with the tread yet. This is the most mileage I've gotten from a motor cycle tire and I'm thinking I can get another year out of them.

#19 ·
I run the Dunlop American Elites, but I also can be a little more aggressive particularly in cornering. I never ran the Michelin Commander II's, but from what I know and have heard, I can agree with pretty much what most people will say, the Dunlop AEs are better for aggressive riding and the Mich Commander II's last longer particularly for mile-munching touring.

You really can't go wrong with either tire.

Couple of people mentioned Shinkos. I did run the Shinko 777 heavy duty once, they were sticky as hell and cheap, but they really don't last that long. If all I did was hooligan riding, I'd run the Shinkos, otherwise go with the Dunlop AE or Mich Commander II. I got about 7K out of a Shinko 777 HD rear, regularly get 15K+ from the Dunlop AEs, and the Dunlop AE I have to say stomps an absolute mudhole in the Shinko as far as wet weather performance, despite how much stickier the Shinko was in the dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.