Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding a 2005 883 Sportster. Got a question for you guys. My grips are wore and I want to replace them. I found a set I like and bought them. Got the manual out and they say to use Loctite Prism Superbonder on left grip. Dealer told me I did not need to use it. JP video used it on left side also. Do I need to or do I not need to use it for the left side grip? Manual also tells me to remove clutch handle screws and JP did not in video. I want this job to go smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
If I remember right the grip will be held on my the handle bar control module.
If that is the case then it can`t slide off. But without the glue it can rotate. Not a big deal but I always found it irritating.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does the left hand grip have the flange that fits into the switch housing? Post a pic of it as some grips do need glue and typically Harley-Davidson grips don't.

Harlistas Para La Vida

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grips

The new grips are Harley Davidson grips with the flange that fits in. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it fits in the control box you'll have to take the switch housing apart to get the groove in it. It will rotate if you don't use the glue unless it has set screws to hold it in place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They are set up to fit in the switch housing and should not move as the top of the housing keeps it from doing so. If worried put a dab of grip glue but I've never needed it.

Harlistas Para La Vida

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It really depends on the grip. Of it has a flange that will fit under the switch housing then it won't slide off. However if the grip is not right enough it will rotate. The grips I put on last, I didn't need glue because the grip is very tight and doesn't rotate at all. Take the existing grip off and slide the new one on, if it moves easily; use some glue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I believe if glue is required the grips will come with the glue, some grips like the ones I just installed on my bike were glue-less and did not come with glue in the packaging. Grips I have installed in the past that required glue came with the glue in the package. Like sportytex said, if the left grip fits under the switch housing then no glue is required.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. This is my project tonight. Pastor Jeff

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it

Got grips on. Left went on easy. Right gave me a rough time until I figured out what I was doing wrong in putting the brass bushing with throttle wire into grip. I counted how many threads I had showing before loosening throttle cables. Put them right back where they were and took it for a quick ride. Bought some adhesive at the auto store and a good set of Torx drives. Probably would not need adhesive but I put it on anyway. Watched video again from Youtube and it worked out well. I think I could do them a lot faster next time.

Thanks for the info guys.

Pastor Jeff :bikerguy:

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
The ones I got didn't come with adhesive but had instructions that recommended it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Does the left grip install under the switch housing? If it does then once the switch housing is screwed back together the grip will not moved. It gets held in place by the switch housing. The instructions might recommend glue but I wouldn't use any if it's installed under the switch housing. Naturally the right grip doesn't get glue since you want it to move.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Riding a 2005 883 Sportster. Got a question for you guys. My grips are wore and I want to replace them. I found a set I like and bought them. Got the manual out and they say to use Loctite Prism Superbonder on left grip. Dealer told me I did not need to use it. JP video used it on left side also. Do I need to or do I not need to use it for the left side grip? Manual also tells me to remove clutch handle screws and JP did not in video. I want this job to go smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff
I'd CERTAINLY listen to JP before ANYONE at the dealer. True I suppose you don't NEED it, but i would certainly hate that thing rotating about while riding. Personally, I tossed the Kuryakn ISO's on my bike, which came with the adhesive for the left hand grip. That thing feels like its WELDED on there, doesnt move a micron. I would go with the Loctite dude. JP ain't beginners!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts