Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everybody? Didnt know where was the best place to post this so sorry if its not the right section. I currently own a 2009 yamaha r6 and I am no longer interested in streetbikes. Ive wanted a Harley since I was a kid. I like both the softails and the dynas, but Im not sure what is best to fit me. Im 5'8" about 175lbs and am looking for a bike to just cruise and be comfortable on. I will use it to commute some days to NYC and back and I have great parking so that is not an issue. I really like the lowriders, wide glides, night trains, and similar dynas. I do not personally like the 1200 or 883. Im looking to spend about $7,500 on a used bike. I would also like to find a bike I can ride 2 up on. Just trying to figure out what you guys think would be the best to look for. Thank you in advanced.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Honestly any dyna....
Pick one you like. Buy it. I would go into this and that, but I feel that coming off a rocket I think they will all do what you're looking for. Set up right a dyna is a good 2 up bike for day trips and longer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Everything I'm finding in the north jersey area seems to be carburated. Is this a problem? And what is too high mileage wise?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the response. Everything I'm finding in the north jersey area seems to be carburated. Is this a problem? And what is too high mileage wise?
I'd suggest expanding your search, I just bought an 07 Dyna Low I had to travel from Pittsburgh to VA to get it but I saved almost $3000 over what the best deal I could find here. Be patient and use searchtempest.com to explore multiple Craigslist sites along with ebay & cycletrader. Good luck in your search, I decided to stay away from the carbed models but lots of guys have them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice bike man! Defiantly a great find. I have a pick up and flexible schedule so I don't mind the travel.

·
Registered
482 Posts
welcome to the forum.....I originally had a nightster (sportster) and ended up trading for a street bob so i could not only ride solo but my wife can now ride with me....:bikerguy: :nod

anyway if I were you I would go and check your local Harley shop and test ride a few to help make a decision then you would know what to start looking for....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Id agree with any Dyna, Wideglide being my personal favorite. Best thing would be test riding some to help make your decision.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Well , I ride a WG & while its pretty to look at it ain't the most comfortable due to only having (2) rubber mounts [1- front / 1- back ] where as the older rubber mounted Harley's had ( 3 ) and that my friends , makes all the difference in the world !
If I had it to do over again I'd go with the softie even though I hate the thought of internal balancers but that's your only choice unfortunately cause I'm not ready for a geezer-glide & you said you wanted smooth so there it is .
Shoot , my old 1985 Low Rider was a 4-speed , rigid mount , kick start and it didn't vibrate nearly as much as this rubber-mounted Dyna . Go figure !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My wife and I recently made recently made the switch from crotch rockets as well. I happened upon a late-model StreetBob for about what I was expecting to pay for a Nightster.

I found the mid-controls very uncomfortable, maybe due to my longer legs. But mostly, I think, because I couldn't tuck my legs up, like on the sport-bikes. It was almost like riding a lawn chair. I started shopping for forward controls, almost immediately.

The wife's Nightster feels a bit more athletic, but with mid-pegs, It just doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Go for the Street Bob. I've got a 2007. You want the 96 and the six speed. Carbed is easier to work on but you'll want the injected. More modern technology. I never was a fan of mini apes until I bought this bike. My plan was to swap them for drag bars but now that I've ridden with them I wouldn't change them. Very comfortable for long rides and they look cool as hell.

Keep in mind that this is all my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Captain Dave
108 Posts
The Dynas are a terrific bike line. The power is certainly there when you need it. Like everyone is saying, test ride as many bikes as you can. You will know which one is for you when you ride it. I road a few and when I road the 2012 Wide Glide I knew it right a way....and so did the sales person. He said so, lets write it up and we did. So you will know. Make the right decision for fit and comfort. The WG has a racked out front end so going through the twisties will be a challenge until you get used to it. As for accessories, you can make it a boulevard blaster or a semi tour bike with detachable gear. Good luck and when you get your bike, post some pics.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
681 Posts
Each to their own. I'd suggest going to a few places were Harley people gather and look at the bikes and what the owners have done to them. Pick the style that appeals to you and then go get a demo ride on the nearest thing you can find to it. Remember you can always change things like footrests and bars. I wasn't really happy with my Low Rider till I got forward controls and a different seat.
Just watch out for the brakes - after a crotch-rocket it will feel like there aren't any!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're a tall guy, a Wide Glide might suit you well due to the forward controls. If you're of a more average size, any of the other dynas would fit well. One of the first things we Harley owners do is begin the process of making the bike "ours" by swapping this and that until we are comfortable and unique. That being said, it's hard to beat the standard Super Glide as a base model. Super Glides and Street Bobs seem to be the most afordable models. If you have shorter legs, maybe a Low Rider would hit the sweet spot. There is nothing wrong with carbs, but EFI is the more modern and efficient technology.

I shop for motorcycles the same way I shop for helmets - I keep trying them on until I find one that fits juuuuust right! Don't be in a hurry and enjoy the quest!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any Dyna will be a good choice. I have an '03 Low Rider. A distinct advantage of a carbed bike is that you can work on it without having to rely on the dealer. What ever you choose to buy, also buy the H-D Service Manual that covers the model & year of the bike.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Any Dyna will be good. They stopped making the good dyna so whatever you get, you will love. If you get into alot of long hauling you'll need bags. Whith my Super glide, I had to strap crap on all over the place. Best case synario is get a dyna for cruzing and a Electra glide for long hauling.
The good dyna was the Super Glide Sport with dual front breaks and Progressive suspension.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Whats up everybody? Didnt know where was the best place to post this so sorry if its not the right section. I currently own a 2009 yamaha r6 and I am no longer interested in streetbikes. Ive wanted a Harley since I was a kid. I like both the softails and the dynas, but Im not sure what is best to fit me. Im 5'8" about 175lbs and am looking for a bike to just cruise and be comfortable on. I will use it to commute some days to NYC and back and I have great parking so that is not an issue. I really like the lowriders, wide glides, night trains, and similar dynas. I do not personally like the 1200 or 883. Im looking to spend about $7,500 on a used bike. I would also like to find a bike I can ride 2 up on. Just trying to figure out what you guys think would be the best to look for. Thank you in advanced.
Welcome to the forum!

I just picked up a 1996 Superglide last month, roughly in your price range. It is carbureted, which I prefer personally, though I wouldn't turn down an injected dyna. It has the mid mounted controls, which I are a bit snug for me (I'm 6'4") but still comfortable. It has highway pegs for long rides, so it works out fine. Personally, I prefer the mids but could use more height in the seat, but I don't think that that will be an issue for you based on your stated height.

The Super Glide, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Switch Back all have a 28-29 degree rake while the Wide Glide has a 34 degree (I think). If you're after more of 'chopper' look, the Wide Glide would be the one. I've never ridden a wide glide, but suspect that with the greater rake, its straightline stability is a touch better than the Super Glide, but it may be a touch less nimble. The Wide Glide also has a 21" wheel and thinner tire if memory serves (I will defer to those familiar with the Wide Glide regarding handling differences :) ).

As others have said, any of them are a great bike. Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! I appreciate all the responses and help from you guys and will take it all into consideration. I found this dyna police defender that seems pretty good. Low mileage around 8k that has a wide glide front end a few other things done to it. Ive been looking mostly at wide glides, low riders, and some softails (nightrain), but I think Im going to start checking out some super glides. My street bike is finally sold, so my patience are running out but I want to find something good. Thanks for all the help. On a late 90's early 2000, what is considered low mileage range? I plan on keeping this bike for a while so I dont want to buy anything high mileage, and Im still on the fence about carburated or FI.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts