Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to riding a chain drive metric where the engine oil does everything. This 07 FLHTCU is my first Harley. The moco seems to recommend the same oil for everything but it's all doing something different that would seem to have different requirements.
I'm planning to use either amsoil or Royal purple in the engine. My question is, what are the guys who ride and wrench on their bikes run in the transmission and chain drive?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I use Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Oil for the engine. Amsoil V-Twin Synthetic Primary Fluid for the primary and Amsoil V-Twin Synthetic Transmission Fluid for the transmission. I ride a 2016 Ultra Limited.

You are going to find all kinds of opinions on oil . . . there is a Sticky somewhere on oils and what everyone recommends.

·
Registered
39,780 Posts
Seems like I remember someone doing research on this subject a long time ago and posting all sorts of useful information in a thread dedicated to this very subject. Probably in a sub forum called oil & filters, or something equally as ridiculous.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Seems like I remember someone doing research on this subject a long time ago and posting all sorts of useful information in a thread dedicated to this very subject. Probably in a sub forum called oil & filters, or something equally as ridiculous.
Hey i remember reading that entire report, twice! Took notes the second time! (Now those notes are stored in my phone. So i have them handy when i stop by the auto-parts store or (on very rare occasion): Wallmart!

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wasn't easy, but I dug around a bit and came up with this. I know you're having fun, but it's time to take the OP out of his misery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm used to riding a chain drive metric where the engine oil does everything. This 07 FLHTCU is my first Harley. The moco seems to recommend the same oil for everything but it's all doing something different that would seem to have different requirements.
I'm planning to use either amsoil or Royal purple in the engine. My question is, what are the guys who ride and wrench on their bikes run in the transmission and chain drive?
Hi I have a 2002 FLHTCUI, 2005 883XL and 1998 1200XL. I use Penrite HPR Diesel 20W-50W oil on my bikes for at lest 6 years and have never had any problems. I live in Australia, Queensland and I ride any where at any time. The reason is I have recommend, it is the best grade oil for Harleys not Metric oil. Engine Oil Is Diesel the primer case Metric oil for the clutch and Gear 90w for gear box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts