Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

After spending too much of my weekend wasting time online trying to find parts, I decided I'd try the forum route.

The situation is this: My son has been doing a Youth Apprenticeship at our local H-D Dealership. He will graduate from high school in June, and ship to boot camp shortly after graduation.

To finish his YA, he needs to do a project. I worked with his boss to figure out what a suitable project would be, and came up with this: Restore a 1989 FLHTC. I found the bike through a mutual friend, and got it for a steal.

The good - It runs, the wheels and tires look good, and the frame is straight.
The bad - It needs a gas tank, front fender, rear belt drive sprocket. Pretty easy to find on Ebay.
The Frustrating - It also needs a fairing. Inner and Outer. Outer is pretty easy, the inner is going to give me a heart attack.

The boy will be responsible for acquiring all of the needed parts to put this thing back together, and as far as he knows, this is to be a running display model for the YA Program. What he doesn't know is that when he graduates, the shop is going to present him with the title and the keys, and he gets to ride his creation home.

I'm hoping that someone who sees this will be able to give some input as to the best place to find decent used or aftermarket parts that won't break the bank.

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
No idea about the inner fairing, however:
• eBay, which can be a pain sometimes as people sometimes list parts wrong
J&P Cycles and Dennis Kirk: advantages, you put in the year, make and model and it will show you only the parts that will fit that model, but only aftermarket and only what they carry. With DK, you can also filter by "might fit".
Harley Davidson SIP site: input the VIN number, will show you all available manuals and instruction sheets online.
Ronnie's Harley Michrofiche: can get OEM part numbers and diagrams online.

Another thing would be to see if there's any motorcycle-specific junk yards near you.

You could also check your local Harley dealers and you might get really lucky if they happen to have old parts books. My local Harley used to have some from as far back as the 70's. Then, a new parts manager came in and threw them all away. He got fired, though it wasn't over that and they didn't say why he was fired. Anyway, most Harley dealers don't keep parts books that old, but it's worth a shot regardless.

But, getting the OEM part number can go a long way in finding a replacement (either original or aftermarket).

You can also get your boy to join the forum. Lots of great, knowledgeable wrenches here. I only been here two or three years and I wouldn't be 1/8th the novice wrench I am now were it not for people on here like @SCHMIDTY and others.

·
Registered
20,832 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks. I’ll definitely be following the links.

DK and JP have a ton of stuff, but nothing that “fits” the‘89 as far as the fairing inner is concerned.

One of the options that I thought might work would be to convert to a Road King. Just have to figure out how to get the gauges on the tank, and the whole headlamp thing.

Of course, I’m a cheap bastard, and therefore, I’m willing to help the boy recondition used parts. I’m hoping that keeps the costs down.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You didn't say where you are.. but, if you are in SoCal, Veterans Stadium in Long Beach has a Motorcycle swap meet once a month. It runs Sat & Sun the weekend after the car swap-meet. There are tons of H.D stuff there!
Good Luck!

·
weird member
1,935 Posts
These were on the first page of eBay (inner and outer, didn't see any only inner):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again boys!

I’m about an hour north of Milwaukee. You’d think it’d be easier to find parts locally, given our industry.

·
Registered
20,832 Posts
Have your son write a letter to Harley HQ asking help finding a inner faring, if they don't have one , what other years would fit......maybe they can 3-D print one....but he is going to have to write them a really nice letter on why he needs it,

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,050 Posts
If that’s an OE outer fairing in the photo, you may not get an ‘89 OE inner fairing to match up to it. Pretty sure that vent below the windshield was only on ‘14 and later Rushmore bikes. That may actually make it easier to find a later model inner fairing to mate with it. Aftermarket inners can be found on eBay pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,572 Posts
Good luck with the inner fairing. I've been looking for one for my '91 for years. When I have come across one, they have been all busted up.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
That inner fairing OP is looking for, I would contact Bill's Custom Cycles on that. Bill's deals with mucho NOS and take off H-D parts.

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
If I read the OP's post correctly he stated his son needs to restore that '89 FLHTC. That means all original or NOS or refurbished parts.
That being said and looking at the pics I'd say this is going to be a very expensive restoration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the input.

"Restore," may not have been the best term for this project.

Fortunately for him, he has complete artistic freedom with this. The idea is that when he is done, there will be a roadworthy final product that could be displayed on the shop floor to show the success of the Youth Apprenticeship program.

Since the original post, the design plans have changed, and there will be no fairing or bags. He is going for the stripped down bare bones big bike look, with an old school feel. This is what he came up with for inspiration. It looks like this will eliminate some of the paint cost, and a fairing, and since I will likely end up funding a good portion of this, I'm okay with that!

·
Retired citizen
22,285 Posts
That's a much better idea ! Restoring that '89 would cost about what a new E.G. Standard would.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts