Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the site, so I'm posting what issue brought me here. I changed my oil and filter right little before sundown. Had to take a phone call, and by the time I got back to finishing it was already dark. Sun sets fast here in west. Anyhow... I started up the bike and let it idle to warm up the engine for a final oil level check. While idling, I listened for engine sounds. I been thinking that maybe I been hearing an exhaust leak for a while now, but still not sure. So after about 5 minutes of listening to the motor, I noticed the pipes (underneath the heat shields) up by the engine head were glowing orange. It wasn't bright orange like cutting metal with an acetylene torch. Was kind of faint orange. Took my jacket, threw it over my head and the fuel tank to block out the street light, and sure enough, it was glowing. It's my first Harley, so of course I'm thinking something maybe wrong. But I do a Google search, and find a thread on this website that told me this is to be expected if you're gonna run at an idle for very long, and I should just go ahead and ride it to warm it up. I measured the 3 quarts of oil, so shouldn't be off by much, if any at all (HD manual says 3 qts for oil and filter change). So I'm feeling a little stupid, but I guess this is how you learn. I would thank the veterans in the thread, but its from 2010, so will just say thanks here.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Did you check the dipstick after the change? In general you only should add about 2.5 qts. when doing an oil change. The capacity might be 3, but some will remain in the motor after draining. It could be overfilled, so check it before you go for a ride. A turkey baster will work to get excess oil out of there if you don't have an oil extractor.
There's no need to have it idling for 5 minutes. Being air cooled it needs to have air moving over the fins.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Welcome to the forum from SoCal.
Good to know, you found the answers to your surprise here from researching old posts!
What bike are you riding?

EDIT: Ok, so i'm a dumb ass for not reading the title!
Are you the gentleman i met at Riverside HD last Sunday?

Reactions: dpspike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Scott. It's been about 10 years since I visited the Inland Empire. I'm over in Phoenix, AZ. And not a gentleman either really. But I am the guy that let his motorbike idle too long while listening to the motor, so don't feel too dumb about not reading the title.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hey Scott. It's been about 10 years since I visited the Inland Empire. I'm over in Phoenix, AZ. And not a gentleman either really. But I am the guy that let his motorbike idle too long while listening to the motor, so don't feel too dumb about not reading the title.
Idling happens, not much difference when stuck in traffic or, those odd times waiting at RR crossing...
At least here in Commiphornia, it's a motorcycle friendly state, where we don't have to cook our air cooled engines (Unless on a trike or a old VW) sitting in traffic..:cool:
I invited a potential new member to join the forum, while we were BS'n at the old Skip Fordice, now Riverside H.D. last Sunday. So i was kinda watching the new post, closer.

Dumb is how i got my screen name here! Dropped the Ultra, in a restaurant parking lot, in full view of a crowd, on the first ride home on the bike.... Yep' within 30 minutes of purchase! It weighs a half ton with me on it! :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts