Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda newbie from Montreal here. I’ll give you a quick intro and then maybe you can chime in with your opinion on the age old HD question.
45 years old always had sport bikes , took about 10 years off for buying a house and starting a family and now I’m ready for two wheels again. I’m a small guy 5’7”, 160. I like city riding so I like small bikes. My wife is also petite and enjoys riding with me.
I’ve ridden Many Harleys before, all rentals . Now I want my own.
I’ve gotten the same price basically from the dealer here for a 2019 883 or 1200 Iron. I always loved the look of the 883 Iron with the low handlebar and matte black paint. So now the age old question..........is an 883 a no go because of power ? I know it’s been asked a million times so here’s a million and 1. Just shoot your opinions at me. Thanks people

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
You asked for opinions. Wow! You will likely get plenty of them LOL.

Here's my take: There are those on this forum happy with their 883. But I think the ones with their 1200's are happier. :)

Will you be riding much two up? If so you will feel the 883 lacking and you will play hell trying to keep up with any riding buddies. Even two up the 1200 has the "guts" when you need them and is mostly adequate for any two up riding.

Before you buy based on looks, ride both an 883 and a 1200. And I would bet a steak dinner with drinks and dessert that after you ride a 1200 you won't want no stinkin' 883.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had an Iron 1200 and after the mods I did it fit me well and had the power I "need". The 883 did not have what I "need". Night and Day difference. Try it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came back from the dealer today , looked at both Sportsters, and then the salesman told me “come sit on this”. 🤦🏻‍♂️
2017 fatboy...........now I have a problem because that bike was beautiful. And it DOES NOT feel like a big bike. So yes it’s used where the sportsters were new, but it would cost me only $3000 more.
I gotta admit..........very different feel when I looked at and sat On the fatboy. The Sportster didn’t get my heart pumping like the fatboy did.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you plan on riding two up for any extended period, or plan on some longer trips, the Fatboy is going to be more comfortable and have much more power.

·
V-Twin Junkie
373 Posts
Which is not to say that it would outrun a Sportster 1200, because it won't. I think there are better bikes for long rides, though, like a Road King or any of the Glides, really.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,842 Posts
Get a Fatboy lo

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3beards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which is not to say that it would outrun a Sportster 1200, because it won't. I think there are better bikes for long rides, though, like a Road King or any of the Glides, really.
I would say I’m more of a cruising around town kinda guy. Not into long rides.

·
Registered
39,834 Posts
The FatBoy picked you. It will be forever sad if you dont take it home with you.

You dont want to be responsible for a homeless FatBoy do you? :(

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I would say I’m more of a cruising around town kinda guy. Not into long rides.
Famous last words. If you are riding a bike that is comfortable, and that fits you well, you may find yourself wanting to do longer rides, then overnighters, so forth and so on. Happened to me. I hadn't even ridden, much less owned a bike in over 30 years. Then, at age 62 I bought a new 1200 Sportster. Two years later I upgraded to a Fat Bob, another 2+ years and I upgraded to a RGC. Now on my 2nd RG, a RGU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Famous last words. If you are riding a bike that is comfortable, and that fits you well, you may find yourself wanting to do longer rides, then overnighters, so forth and so on. Happened to me. I hadn't even ridden, much less owned a bike in over 30 years. Then, at age 62 I bought a new 1200 Sportster. Two years later I upgraded to a Fat Bob, another 2+ years and I upgraded to a RGC. Now on my 2nd RG, a RGU.
And the uneducated, inexperienced former sport bike guy (me) made a mistake. It was a Dyna Fat bob I fell in love with today. I’m so embarrassed 😞

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I came back from the dealer today , looked at both Sportsters, and then the salesman told me “come sit on this”. 🤦🏻‍♂️
2017 fatboy...........now I have a problem because that bike was beautiful. And it DOES NOT feel like a big bike. So yes it’s used where the sportsters were new, but it would cost me only $3000 more.
I gotta admit..........very different feel when I looked at and sat On the fatboy. The Sportster didn’t get my heart pumping like the fatboy did.
And the uneducated, inexperienced former sport bike guy (me) made a mistake. It was a Dyna Fat bob I fell in love with today. I’m so embarrassed 😞
You have already answered your own question!

You can't pick a Harley..... The Harley picks YOU!

No matter which model, your riding style WILL adjust to that bike!
They all will run around town, They all will get up to freeway speed (although the stock 883 won't power away from a problem when already at freeway speed) (The 1200 doesn't have that issue). At a sustained speed of 75 mph a stock 883 lacks the power to "force" a pass. It will roll up to 85 but, it's not going to "snap-to". Yes it is a great, lighter around town bike but will feel sluggish coming off of metrics.

The 1200's just plain have more power to spare. My wife's bone stock 1200 Custom will snap right up to 85 from a sustained 70 / 75 mph cruising speed. It will run circles around my buddies '03 883, that has a stage one on it.
The one thing about the Sportys (IMHO) is their handling is rather argumentative at freeway speed with out a wind shield. You will feel every buff of wind, trucks and speed. A windshield is a huge bonus in their rideability.

Now that Dyna is a whole different kitty! The power is at the ready! Loves a nice weekend run to your soon to be discovered, favorite get-a-way place(s). You will find a thousand uses for those saddlebags! There is some serious JOY in just listening to that Big-Twin thumping along...
Happy and safe riding!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I only use a Piranha flyscreen on my Sporty and it is great at speed. I don't love big windscreens on little bikes.
Agreed! Just gotta have something to break up that jet blast to the chest!

Reactions: Gorillathehun

·
Lisa
817 Posts
Jim, listen to these guys. Every one of them is right. Look seriously at the Fat Boy. You won’t regret it. I got a 1200XLC first. It was great, but not as comfortable for the rides I was doing so I started looking. A Fat Boy Low fit me perfectly and was so comfortable. Unfortunately it was already sold. I found a Softail Deluxe that fit me equally as well and it’s everything I could want. It has the power and comfort. It’s perfect for around town and long distance. Your wife will be very comfortable riding with you on that Fat Boy. I think she’ll feel a little safer on it as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lisa , thanks for the input. Btw, I made a mistake, it’s actually a fat bob. Whatever the case, when I say on it , it just felt great. I was flat foot on it ( I’m 5’7”) and it didn’t feel as big as it looked under me. Plus there’s nothing I need to add to it. Comes with a two up seat, passenger pegs, forward controls, etc......all stuff I’d have to add to the Sporty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a former sport bike guy now in my 40's I'll say it is not a surprise that Fat Bob spoke to you. That said, I'd strongly caution against the 883 and even the 1200. Given your experience as a rider you'll find the limits of those bikes very easily and be looking to trade up soon. The prior posters saying get the one you're fired up about are following the only absolute rule in buying a bike: get the one you can't stop thinking about.

·
V-Twin Junkie
373 Posts
Disagree on a 1200 Sportster. Still one of the best all around bikes HD makes-and easily set up to satisfy an experienced rider. Even with the 107 (and I'm thinking the one you looked at would have the 103), a 1200 Sportster will be neck to neck with it through the 1/4 mile and will outhandle it in the twisties. The Fat Bob is beautiful, but the 2017 was more about style than raw performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never thought that I would like riding a big heavy bike every day. Then I decided that my small metric wasn't working for 2 up riding and test rode a 2007 FLHTCU. It's only heavy as I lift it off it's stand. As soon as I let out on the clutch she's light as a feather and a real joy to ride.
Get more bike than you think you will need, and you will never need more bike than you have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts