Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
that's a project bike for sure. your are going to have to tear it down and take inventory and see what is needed to restore it. you might consider parting it out once you figure how much money it will take to get it on the road. however with that said it looks like a fun project.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Just curious where you got that bike? How does one let a Harley get that bad? I hope you can bring it back to life and share the process with us with photos

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome from Oregon

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome from Hilo, Hawaii. Take it apart and see what can be salvaged. Majority of the chrome would have to be replaced. All of the aluminum parts can be cleaned and polished. If you do it yourself you could save a bunch of money. It looks like the bike has not run in awhile. Drain all fluids, change all gaskets. It definitely is a project bike. Good luck.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
844 Posts
yep, you have a big project on hand. I know people that have built/restored airplanes and it requires a lot of patience and don't be in a hurry. Once done, you will have something to be proud of. Good luck, and welcome from Tucson, AZ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the bike in a little horse trading. It's pretty grungy for sure. We are supposed to get some warmer weather here soon so I will clean it up a bit with some soap and hot water. I will add some after pics at that time. It looks kind of like an aborted/botched attempt at a chopper. I don't think I am missing a whole lot of parts. There is a solo seat that's good. I know I am missing a belt guard. I go to a lot of car shows/swap meets in Wisconsin and there are always lots of HD parts. Does anyone know anything about that front end? Is it HD or something else?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Spray it off, put a battery in it, and ride it.
Welcome from Kansas.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
After market triple trees, don't know the brand. It appears they went with a wide glide front end. In the pile of parts looks like you have a front break, but I couldn't see a rotor. Clean up everything and make an inventory list.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's a great project bike, hopefully the trade came out so you're not too deep into it. Front end is definitely aftermarket, looks like wide glide front end but from the pics, it also looks as though they are much longer forks than stock. The picture looking from the top of the front wheel makes it seems as though the wheel is lined up with the forks, like it's on a weird angle. Make it yours buddy, don't just ride it as is, you've got a great open canvas to build your own bike. Clean it up, drop a little money into it and you'll have a sweet bike. The great thing about sporty's is the fact that they are easy to work on. If you like the chopper look and feel, maybe throw some slammer shocks and tank lift on it; you've already got the wide glide front end which makes for a great look. I'd still check on those forks though... Maybe take a full picture of the bike from the side to give us a better perspective?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O.K. Here are some new pics. The first six are after a very basic cleanup. They also show more details of that franken-front end. The more I see of it the less I like it. Notice how the front wheel is not even centered in the forks and the distance between the rotor and the brake caliper mount. Not diggin' it at all. There is one spot where it has been beat on with a hammer and the top bolts are all marred up. Whoever put this thing on that bike is a hack. I am thinking returning to an original HD front end is the way to go. That being said, what could I put on it? What years and or models would be a good choice? 02HD Photos by 50coronet | Photobucket

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'll be brutally honest. If the engine runs part it out. Unless you've got very deep pockets, a better base to begin a bike would make sense. It appears only the basic frame, wheels and engine are any good. You need a whole xhit load of parts, the whole front end assy. god only knows what else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be brutally honest. If the engine runs part it out. Unless you've got very deep pockets, a better base to begin a bike would make sense. It appears only the basic frame, wheels and engine are any good. You need a whole xhit load of parts, the whole front end assy. god only knows what else.
That is real option. I have basically $0 into the bike now so whatever I do I am ahead of the game. I don't want to spend a bunch on it. Guess I will put out some feelers for a front end and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Don't I wish. I don't trust that front end. Also no front brakes, throttle, etc. Maybe a rat bike?
On closer inspection you may be right.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I hope you keep going. I'm looking forward to watching the transformation.
Subscribed

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Would be a great project bike, if you want to do a one of a kind custom. If youre wanting to stay mostly stock with the bike, you consider see what you can get out of it and find a bike that's in better shape. That being said search around for a front end. Lots of folks used to take the stock forks and trees off to put wide glide front ends on sportys. Maybe you could find one on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I wouldn't put more than $4k total into it. Since you're at $0 right now, you have a lot of room to go. Parting it out, you may or may not come out well. With what I see is wrong, you can definitely rebuild for $4k if you do the work yourself.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts