Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new and looking for advice.
I've decided to fulfill a lifelong dream and buy a Harley Davidson. When I was younger I wanted to build the Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man bike, but I let life get in the way.
I am now early 40s, 200lbs, 6' tall and have limited riding experience.
I used to ride a cb 100 around the fields as a kid. In my late teens early 20s I rode some dirt bikes. Crashed a few times. Lol. So my street experience is zero and it's been 20 years since my last ride.
I've got a handful of kids and my budget is low. So I'm looking at the bottom of the price barrel.
I am mechanically inclined, I build a kx250 and cr250 from buckets of parts so I'm not afraid of a bike I will have to work on.
My intention is to ride locally. 25-45 mph country roads. I'm not planning on riding the highway very often. More of an afternoon, Sunday drive kind of thing.
That said what models should I be looking at? So far I have been looking at late 90s early 2000s sportsters. I'm wondering if perhaps I should be looking at Dynas or for an fxr?
I'm out of my element on this one. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
Welcome! Maybe look at some local dealers and see if you can find an MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Some provide the bikes so you can get familiar and test out a bike at the same time. At 6 ft you will probably need some forward controls but almost any bike can be modified to be comfortable. Cold weather season is here so look on the sales sites and a bargain is sure to pass by. You might do well to pick up a fixer upper as many are going to the newer engine models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Maybe look at some local dealers and see if you can find an MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Some provide the bikes so you can get familiar and test out a bike at the same time. At 6 ft you will probably need some forward controls but almost any bike can be modified to be comfortable. Cold weather season is here so look on the sales sites and a bargain is sure to pass by. You might do well to pick up a fixer upper as many are going to the newer engine models.
We actually have to take a course to get licensed here. (Maine) its something like a day of class time and then two full days in a parking lot. There are three or four places I can take the course locally. You can do it with their bikes, or take a different course with your own bike.

My plan is to get a bike and spend quite a bit of time on my own in parking lots before I take the course.

At the course they can waiver your road test.

I'm trying to be realistic about this. I probably will not be on the road this year until late summer early fall.

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
Well I always felt dirt bike experience helps a ton! Cars and oil slicks are the worst though, good luck on the hunt and keep us posted!

·
old scoot coot
2,901 Posts
welcome aboard from s.e. kansas.stick around and have some fun lots of really smart harley guys here, i'm not one. nice intro thanks. ask all the questions you want we love to welcome fellow ;harley enthusiasts to the fold. also keep your mind open to touring bikes. north of year 2000 the twin cams have been very reliable for many years and miles. if you turn out to be a bike guy at 6ft and 200 touring bikes would be a good fit. the hogs in motion don't seem heavy. the twin cams require some maintenance along the way but that should be no problem at all for a handy guy like yourself. there are many bargins to be had in the touring line with some age and miles on them. upwards to 50,000 miles no sweat. one with far fewer miles than that can be had for around say 5,000 dollars. there are many very nice clean, slick early models with low miles out there. if you buy a touring bike it will have crash bars already just put some hose on the lower part for practice and dropping them in a parking lot hurts nothing. my guess is after you get comfy on any bike the 45mph will go to cruise speed and the highway. sit on a bunch of them at the dealers those dressers from 2000 to 2010 can be found very affordable there too. see what feels good and what seems right. many guys like you buy a sporty and outgrow it in a few months, same or even more money. so take your time and look to the future. you can look at craigs list, cycle trader for prices and ideas. i think you will be a harley guy no matter what you decide on. enjoy the serch and dreams man, we do! 🤠

1 - 5 of 5 Posts