Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Car Guy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am.....

43yrs old, been riding for 4 years.....

Truly still a Car Guy, but enjoying motorcycling very much.

Started on a 2004 SV650, didnt like it for a few reason, Went to a 2000 VFR.... Enjoyed the VFR, but not the riding position.

Decided to try a cruiser, went to a 95 Honda Magna...... loved the look, hated the performance..... specificly the brakes and handling...

I bought a 2006 Honda 919, I love the bike..... but I am hearing the call of the "Dark Side " very strong these days.....

Just not into "Sport Biking", and just dont ride with the guys that I used to ride with..... I tend to just relax and enjoy the day.

I was thinking V-Rod...... but I am really really liking the FatBob looks, and everyone I have talked to, says its an awesome riding machine....

Would love some feedback from others that came from sort of a Sport Bike background on how much will I be giving up in handling and braking when going to the FatBob....

Thanks everyone

Troy

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Troy, glad your here. Anytime now a few will ring in on the Fat Bob. I own a Street Bob and love it. I can sit back and cruise or twist the throttle and work the curves.

Also a good idea is head over to the dealer on "demo day". That way you can ride different bikes and really get the feel for which one you might want.

Anyway, welcome!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, here I am.....

Just not into "Sport Biking", and just dont ride with the guys that I used to ride with..... I tend to just relax and enjoy the day.

I was thinking V-Rod...... but I am really really liking the FatBob looks, and everyone I have talked to, says its an awesome riding machine....

Would love some feedback from others that came from sort of a Sport Bike background on how much will I be giving up in handling and braking when going to the FatBob....

Thanks everyone

Troy
Not from a Sportbike background but have ridden pretty hard so I will give it a shot..
Handling is awesome especially for a forward control orientation, bike has a low center of gravity and responds like it waits with bated breath for your commands..
Braking..
Rear Sucks but dual disks on front with the chunky front tire bring this baby to a quick stop especially if you are quick with the downshift..
Stock bike is pretty quick off the line for a cruiser but nothing like the V-Rods after all it is a bike for folk that enjoy cruising.
Comfortable as all get out at 65-70 with minimal vibration but your ass will feel a little violated after 400 miles (at least mine does).
For max enjoyment I recommend getting pipes done before you take delivery as service sucks after you drive off.
V&H 2 into 1 w/breather kit and tweak will make this baby sound like it was meant to and add to the enjoyment of the ride..
I have had mine for 6 mos and all I do is dream of getting home so I can go putting.
Summary a great bar hopper or day cruiser wouldn't recommend for cross country touring (although can be outfitted) but a great looking fun bike to ride and not hard on the eyes either.
This time of year I would shop as many dealers as possible as you shouldn't pay more than 15K for a colored version or $14,700 for a black satin.
I purchased the Pearl Blue (only one in stock w/in 100 miles) but wish I had waited for a black model as the bike looks sic done up like a Night train...

·
Car Guy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.....

Good to hear the FatBob should fill my needs...

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Welcome to our lil' corner of the Internet! :)

We've got a lot of sportbike riders in various stages of "recovery" LOL. (I rode the SV's "big brother" TL1000R for several years with CCS and different trackday orgs). Depending on your idea of "loafing", you may find the VR more to your liking... and may have more options available with respect to suspension upgrades than a Softail chassis. Maybe do a couple demos, or rent one for a day and see what you think?

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I've been riding a rocking chair till I got up off my but and bought my harley at young age of 63. Figure I can learn a lot from you people. Welcome aboard:thumb

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
Car Guy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, just got back from the dealer....

Sat on the FatBob again...... Found out the Black Pearl is actually more like Charcoal Gray...... same color nearly as my GTO.......

Honda 919 is now listed on Craigslist.....

LOL..... Wife is gonna kick my butt...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I ride a VROD and can recommend it without hesitation (me or the bike) but the Fat Bob is my favorite Air cooled Harley. You have good taste! Best of luck with your purchase.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Well, just got back from the dealer....

Sat on the FatBob again...... Found out the Black Pearl is actually more like Charcoal Gray...... same color nearly as my GTO.......

Honda 919 is now listed on Craigslist.....

LOL..... Wife is gonna kick my butt...
Na.. just tell her you made mods to the honda

·
Car Guy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still thinking....

Just some more thoughts..... ( I know, I drive my wife and everyone around me nuts..... gonna be a long winter)

For the amount I am gonna lose on the sale of the 919, which I still honestly love.... which looks like in the area of $3500..... Figuring I have a total of $8500 invested in the 9'r between OTD purchase price and smalls mods...

I can buy an older HD Sportster, and have the best of both worlds....

Seems like a better idea in the long run.....

I am sure I will change my mind a few more times over the next 4 months

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
One thing you might notice, the V-Rod is one bike that while very popular to owners,
they don't seem to maintain very good resale price, from a sellers viewpoint,
probably because enough traditional Harley people don't care for them
to negatively affect the resale value.

I think this would make them a very good value to a buyer.

You might find one that is a good enough deal, certainly compared to a new FatBob,
to make keeping your Honda possible.

·
Car Guy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing you might notice, the V-Rod is one bike that while very popular to owners,
they don't seem to maintain very good resale price, from a sellers viewpoint,
probably because enough traditional Harley people don't care for them
to negatively affect the resale value.

I think this would make them a very good value to a buyer.

You might find one that is a good enough deal, certainly compared to a new FatBob,
to make keeping your Honda possible.

Very true.... I have seen a few "deals" on V-rods, especially the Street Rod, which does appeal to me, so I can also keep that option open also....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts