Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone,
Obviously a newb/cheapskate question... I want new handlebars on my 2011 fxdwg. The local shop said they charge almost a grand because they have to solder all the wires and whatnot. My question is, what's the highest rise I can get before having to replace the wires? I'm looking into either 10-12" T-bars, or 6-12" Z-bars. Any help, advise and input is greatly appreciated! I'll post some example pix. 1367773149783.jpg 1367773188065.jpg 1367773169873.jpg 1367773199027.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
That's hard to say. I don't think there's as much extra wiring tucked up underneath the tank on your 2011 as there was on the older models. However, if you're even remotely mechanically minded, the install is not that hard of a job. Several of us on here have done our own installation and added extended wiring harnesses and cable. I think I gave around $300 for my bars and wiring kit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I swap to 4 inch straight risers, now it measures equal to having 8" apes, I only had to bend and reposition brake line clamp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do a research on google. There are extension kits that are plug and play.
Soldering is not that hard to do, just use heat shrink to protect the joints.
The front brake line is something else. Depending on the model and year will determine if you can just change the upper line. Some are crimped and some are screw.
just a thought.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have just installed 8" t-bars and know a couple of guys that have installed 10" t-bars with stock cables, wires and brake line. I experienced quite a bit of slack. The other guys did it with stock cables lines and wires, but feel that any taller and you would have to get a longer brake line, and possibly cables. But wires could go to 12-14". Here is mine...

Here is a bros 10" t-bar:

·
Retired citizen
23,209 Posts
The brake hose usually needs to be replaced if it has the metal tubing stretch under the bottom fork clamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts