Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Road King Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just got my first Harley on the 1st of May. 2005 Road King Classic. I came here after owning a less than running Honda Rebel 250 for a few years. After a year off of riding, I’m back — and a little rusty if I’m honest. But as they say, you never forget how to ride a bike.

Glad I joined the Harley gang. Everyone I’ve met so far is cool as hell and very nice considering I’m 21 with little to no mechanical skills (YET!) I hope to learn more here as I’ve definitely found a new passion.

CE1A930B-0D15-4083-BA0B-67310B902AA0.jpeg
2EBF1599-2B01-4D88-832D-E7531D0CB32E.jpeg

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from So Cal.
True; You will never forget how to ride a bicycle... This is NO Bicycle!
Unused skills, very soon become lost!
Do yourself a huge favor and take the beginners course again... This time, do it for learning skills not for just getting an endorsement. You will be amazed at what you pick up.

I'm not sayin' you don't know how to ride, I am sayin' skills are your very best friend! Keep them sharp and always at hand!

That's a Sweet RK!
Btw, it weighs a whole lot more than that honda rebel did! (especially when she takes a nap)
Now, you understand my screen name 1/2 Ton.:unsure:
I'm the one that has to keep learning the hard way! :p ... No copy-catting! 🤔

·
Registered
2005 Road King Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, from So Cal.
True; You will never forget how to ride a bicycle... This is NO Bicycle!
Unused skills, very soon become lost!
Do yourself a huge favor and take the beginners course again... This time, do it for learning skills not for just getting an endorsement. You will be amazed at what you pick up.

I'm not sayin' you don't know how to ride, I am sayin' skills are your very best friend! Keep them sharp and always at hand!

That's a Sweet RK!
Btw, it weighs a whole lot more than that honda rebel did! (especially when she takes a nap)
Now, you understand my screen name 1/2 Ton.:unsure:
I'm the one that has to keep learning the hard way! :p ... No copy-catting! 🤔
thanks man, noted! I’m scheduled for a Harley course in July. It can’t come soon enough. I’ve been practicing my slow speed maneuvers and proper stopping with rear brake a lot lately.I’ve had a few close calls with using too much front brake… It brought out physical strength in me to keep it upright that I didn’t know I had! (and all it took was me facing extreme embarrassment and a shot to my pride to find it:LOL:)
For the time being, watching YouTube videos every night about what to do, what not to do, and what separates good riders from bad are my source of knowledge. Never stop trying to get better. 💪

Cheers from WI.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
thanks man, noted! I’m scheduled for a Harley course in July. It can’t come soon enough. I’ve been practicing my slow speed maneuvers and proper stopping with rear brake a lot lately.I’ve had a few close calls with using too much front brake… It brought out physical strength in me to keep it upright that I didn’t know I had! (and all it took was me facing extreme embarrassment and a shot to my pride to find it:LOL:)
For the time being, watching YouTube videos every night about what to do, what not to do, and what separates good riders from bad are my source of knowledge. Never stop trying to get better. 💪

Cheers from WI.
I had nose dive issues with my Ultra, until i figured out propper stopping. Then, the nose dive vanished!

Apply both brakes when coming to a "normal" stop but, release the front brake between a car length or a bike length before actually stopping. Finish the stop with just the rear brake. All the while downshifting with the clutch in to be ready in the correct gear if the light changes or ya need to power out of the way.

Emergency braking is exactly the same, with one exception: Keep slowly and progressive pressure on the front brake all the way to the stop. Don't grab the brake, EVER!

EDIT: Never do what i did last Saturday: NEVER even TOUCH that front brake in a tight U turn. It WILL take a nap before you can blink! KEEP FINGERS AWAY from covering the brakes at low speed! EFFIN,EMBARRASSINGG :eek:

Reactions: TheWhiteSnake

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had nose dive issues with my Ultra, until i figured out propper stopping. Then, the nose dive vanished!

Apply both brakes when coming to a "normal" stop but, release the front brake between a car length or a bike length before actually stopping. Finish the stop with just the rear brake. All the while downshifting with the clutch in to be ready in the correct gear if the light changes or ya need to power out of the way.

Emergency braking is exactly the same, with one exception: Keep slowly and progressive pressure on the front brake all the way to the stop. Don't grab the brake, EVER!

EDIT: Never do what i did last Saturday: NEVER even TOUCH that front brake in a tight U turn. It WILL take a nap before you can blink! KEEP FINGERS AWAY from covering the brakes at low speed! EFFIN,EMBARRASSINGG :eek:
Good advice by 1/2 ton.. As an MSF Rider and Harley Davidson Riding Academy Coach, I have seen close up what happens when you grab the front brake. You can squeeze it hard, but it has to be a progressive squeeze. I ask my students if they like a squeeze of lemon in iced tea. Then I ask what happens if they squeeze the lemon quickly. They say, "it makes a mess". And if you squeeze it slowly but just as hard? No Mess. Your front brake is the same way, a quick squeeze makes a mess. I have ABS on my Street Glide and cannot bring myself to use it on the front brake. LOL...too ingrained in me. Welcome to the "family" from Illinois and Michigan. Yeah, I'm one of those FIB's Go Bears!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Greetings from Minnesota!

·
old scoot coot
4,733 Posts
welcome aboard white snake. my first was a 2010 rkc. great looking one you have their. enjoy it. did previous owner put the fairing on? plenty of help on this site. start in slow, get a manual first. you will be wrenching in no time. how many miles on the clock? stick around and have some fun.

·
Registered
2005 Road King Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup got it with the fairing which I’m super happy with. Kick ass stereo, less wind on my chest, and a great bug exterminator. Cleaning it just gives me some special time with ‘er. 64xxx purchase miles so a little high but for a touring bike I know I can get a lot more out of it. Already at 67000 in a month!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yup got it with the fairing which I’m super happy with. Kick ass stereo, less wind on my chest, and a great bug exterminator. Cleaning it just gives me some special time with ‘er. 64xxx purchase miles so a little high but for a touring bike I know I can get a lot more out of it. Already at 67000 in a month!
Tommy has taught me a trick with getting the glued on bugs off: Mix up a slurry of baking powder and water (on the runny side) and dab it onto the stuck on buggers. Then place a wet towel on them for a minute or two, they will wipe right off. After i de-bug the whole bike, then it gets the Meguiar's Quik Detailer towel job.. Quick and easy! I'm one of those who won't let the bikes out of the driveway dirty...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 Road King Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tommy has taught me a trick with getting the glued on bugs off: Mix up a slurry of baking powder and water (on the runny side) and dab it onto the stuck on buggers. Then place a wet towel on them for a minute or two, they will wipe right off. After i de-bug the whole bike, then it gets the Meguiar's Quik Detailer towel job.. Quick and easy! I'm one of those who won't let the bikes out of the driveway dirty...:rolleyes:
youre a life saver! I waste about 1/5 of a bottle of turtle wax cleaner trying to get those little shits off. will definitely try this next time!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
youre a life saver! I waste about 1/5 of a bottle of turtle wax cleaner trying to get those little shits off. will definitely try this next time!
I tried a bunch of different cleaners and detailing spray. Imho Bugslide is the worst! Yes it makes the bike look clean, for about 10 minutes. After that, if there is a dust particle anywhere in the neighborhood, it WILL find that bike! Then, if i try to remove the dust, it literally makes furrows and wind rows! By far the best detailing spray i have used is Meguiar's Quik mist & wipe Detailer. Any dust that settles on the bike just blows off. No more static cling! For the bug attacks, i use a sopping wet sham-wow or a terry cloth towel. I don't even wring it out, just plop it over the windshield and fairing then on around the buggy parts. Make the towel stick on with its own water content. Works amazingly well.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
2016 CVO Limited
5 Posts
I never thought I'd like a batwing, always had just a windshield or nothing. Now that I have my CVO Limited, I look at it and love the batwing. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Dave

·
old scoot coot
4,733 Posts
I tried a bunch of different cleaners and detailing spray. Imho Bugslide is the worst! Yes it makes the bike look clean, for about 10 minutes. After that, if there is a dust particle anywhere in the neighborhood, it WILL find that bike! Then, if i try to remove the dust, it literally makes furrows and wind rows! By far the best detailing spray i have used is Meguiar's Quik mist & wipe Detailer. Any dust that settles on the bike just blows off. No more static cling! For the bug attacks, i use a sopping wet sham-wow or a terry cloth towel. I don't even wring it out, just plop it over the windshield and fairing then on around the buggy parts. Make the towel stick on with its own water content. Works amazingly well.
i use dryer sheets and detailer for bugs. the towel works well but i am always in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i use dryer sheets and detailer for bugs. the towel works well but i am always in a hurry.
I will for sure give that one a try! Your baking soda trick works wonders! Thank you for BOTH tips!

Reactions: tommytailspin
1 - 20 of 22 Posts