Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm a new Harley rider in Southern California.

I've ridden for 2 months now, started with little naked street bike, and just sold it yesterday, and went straight to my nearest Harley dealership to get a REAL bike!

I'm super excited to be a part of the Harley community, as everyone I've met who rides Harleys in my short time as a biker has been super friendly and cool.

I got (what seemed like) a good deal on a 1997 DXWG with only 9800 miles. However I'm already having some issues. On my way home the shifter peg flew off, and I somehow managed to make my way home in 5th gear (pissing a TON of people off when starting from a stop at a red light). I managed to find the thread size online and pick up a 3" bolt from Home depot that I've fashioned into a make-shift peg until I can get a suitable replacement - so I can keep riding.

However, I've also come to find out the fuel gauge doesn't work. Needle sits at empty when off, and goes between 1/4 and 1/2 tank when on. I filled the tank and it still does the same thing. That too I can live with by just filling up once a week for now, until I can get it sorted.

What really troubles me is an issue with my turn signals. Without going into too much detail, they work when the engine is off, but when I fire it up and start riding they don't flash, just get brighter when I hit the switch. I have a thread I started HERE if anyone has any ideas!

Besides my few hiccups, I love the bike, and more so the community/brotherhood of Harley riders. I can't wait to get my turn signals sorted so I can start going on rides with my local HOG chapter!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! If you need a shifter peg I have a few sitting around and you're more than welcome to one. Shoot me an address and I'll get it out to you.

-Rohan

·
luv the low country
20,344 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. Take it back to the dealership to fix the problems. Shifter peg, turn signals, and fuel gauge are safety issues that should be addressed by them.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Welcome from Florida
I agree take it back to the dealer, They should have done an safety inspection before the sale that should have been fixed before you took delivery

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys (and the warm welcome)! I've just e-mailed the dealer to make sure they're going to take care of me on these issues (its a long ride from my house to just chance it). I'll post what happens!

Other then the hiccups, I love my new Harley!

·
Disabled Vet
13 Posts
Welcome to the tribe.

Hang in there n dont get discouraged, these are all little things that can be worked out.

However... if the stealer sent it out with these very obvious problems, I would get it to a reputable mechanic before you do too much riding. You need to make sure the bones are solid and there are no other safety issues that might leave you laying in the middle of the highway!

2 months of experience is not much so make sure you take it slow and ride at YOUR skill level. Take a MSF safety course if you havent already, just might save your life.

Wish you the best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
welcome to the forum
take the safety course
the blinkers are important
IMHO I never trust gas gage use the trip on your odometer
shifter peg tiny bit of lock tight
good luck with your new ride

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Welcome
Sounds like you'd better go over all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are not ready to fall off. Dealer did nothing.

·
American
28,714 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As mentioned above, the dealer should take care of those issues for you. Congrats and ride safe from Missouri

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Welcome aboard from Mississippi!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome from St. Louis!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts