Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been riding for many years and have owned mostly Kawasaki's. I've always wanted a Harley but never could afford it. As I'm getting older I want to go on longer rides with my wife and am looking at a 2014 Road King with 42,000 miles. I'd like to buy something newer with less miles, but my budget isn't big enough it seems. Just a general question for you experienced Harley Davidson riders...should i be concerned about 42,000 miles on a 14 Road King? The bike looks well kept and has a lot of extras. It's for sale at an Indian/Triumph dealer and they don't have service records but have done a basic safety and mechanical inspection, the bike comes with no warranty. Curious if anyone has an opinion or some suggestions? Thanks

· old scoot coot
7,350 Posts
Hi, I've been riding for many years and have owned mostly Kawasaki's. I've always wanted a Harley but never could afford it. As I'm getting older I want to go on longer rides with my wife and am looking at a 2014 Road King with 42,000 miles. I'd like to buy something newer with less miles, but my budget isn't big enough it seems. Just a general question for you experienced Harley Davidson riders...should i be concerned about 42,000 miles on a 14 Road King? The bike looks well kept and has a lot of extras. It's for sale at an Indian/Triumph dealer and they don't have service records but have done a basic safety and mechanical inspection, the bike comes with no warranty. Curious if anyone has an opinion or some suggestions? Thanks
42,000 mi is not an issue. may be due for a cam chest oh. no big deal can do that at home. you might consider looking at 14 ultras probably could buy for same money. more comfort and protection from wind ect on road. i have a 14 ultra with 106,000 miles on it. still running strong. the ultras are twin cooled. the coolant keeps exhaust valves from burning. they can run a couple of hundred thousand with no top oh.

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
42,000 mi is not an issue. may be due for a cam chest oh. no big deal can do that at home. you might consider looking at 14 ultras probably could buy for same money. more comfort and protection from wind ect on road. i have a 14 ultra with 106,000 miles on it. still running strong. the ultras are twin cooled. the coolant keeps exhaust valves from burning. they can run a couple of hundred thousand with no top oh.
Thanks man, that's appreciated advice. I like the road king windscreen, I love riding naked and when it's time to hit the highway i can pop that screen on, love the Harley set up, this bike also has a detachable tour pack, I fell in love with this bike. Just curious what you mean by a "cam chest" , I'm ok with basic maintenance, fluids, sparkplugs, filters, but opening an engine up is out of my comfort zone, but there's some good Harley mechanics around here.

· old scoot coot
7,350 Posts
Thanks man, that's appreciated advice. I like the road king windscreen, I love riding naked and when it's time to hit the highway i can pop that screen on, love the Harley set up, this bike also has a detachable tour pack, I fell in love with this bike. Just curious what you mean by a "cam chest" , I'm ok with basic maintenance, fluids, sparkplugs, filters, but opening an engine up is out of my comfort zone, but there's some good Harley mechanics around here.
they camchest overhaul is just changing the inner cam bearing and the tensioners for the chains mainly. on the rushmore, 14 and later, twin cams with hydraulic chain tensioners some go to 100,000 miles. i changed mine at 75,000. i would pull the camchest cover and inspect the tensioners at or around 50,000 miles just so you can sleep well. then again 75,000. you can easily do the inspection yourself. it does does not require opening up the engine, just removing the cover. you will become familiar with this and more from just reading on this site. if the road king will do for you don't be concerned with the mileage at all. my first was a 2010 road king classic. the kings and the softails are the best looking. course if it's a king you need wide white walls. :p here is a pic of my ole king.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

· Road Junkie
2,229 Posts
Welcome from East Texas.

Tommy provides some savvy, experienced advice. In addition, I would recommend you check the date codes on the tires (no more than three years old) and perhaps age of the battery. While relatively simple maintenance items, they can add $1,000 to your initial costs if you have a dealer change them out. Might be worth you taking the bike to a trusted mechanic for an independent check-out.

· Registered
29 Posts
No need to to worry about the cam chest for 50k more miles. If it has abs be sure that the brake fluid has been flushed, very expensive to replace the abs unit . Otherwise just gas and go. Enjoy. I have nearly 400k miles riding roadkings. Best bang for the buck hd offers. Lonslo

· Registered
2020 CVO Road Glide
203 Posts
Welcome to the page! I wouldn't be concerned about 42,000 miles. I'd actually consider that somewhat low for a 9-year-old bike. From what I've seen, the Rushmore 103's seem to be a robust motor. Based on my own experiences, I'm a firm believer that keeping these bikes moving is the key to longevity. It's the ones that do nothing but sit that would make me nervous.

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
they camchest overhaul is just changing the inner cam bearing and the tensioners for the chains mainly. on the rushmore, 14 and later, twin cams with hydraulic chain tensioners some go to 100,000 miles. i changed mine at 75,000. i would pull the camchest cover and inspect the tensioners at or around 50,000 miles just so you can sleep well. then again 75,000. you can easily do the inspection yourself. it does does not require opening up the engine, just removing the cover. you will become familiar with this and more from just reading on this site. if the road king will do for you don't be concerned with the mileage at all. my first was a 2010 road king classic. the kings and the softails are the best looking. course if it's a king you need wide white walls. :p here is a pic of my ole king. View attachment 822479
That's a beauty Tommy! And thank you for the help, I appreciate it. Here's a pic of the Road King I'm buying, picking it up saturday, and yes it has the white walls, wouldn't change that for anything. Love the classic look of these bikes and the whitewalls are a big part of it. From your picture it looks like you have the same Rinehart pipes, how do you like those?
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. It's a big purchase for me and it's great to know there's a community of people who are willing to lend a hand. I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum.

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome from East Texas.

Tommy provides some savvy, experienced advice. In addition, I would recommend you check the date codes on the tires (no more than three years old) and perhaps age of the battery. While relatively simple maintenance items, they can add $1,000 to your initial costs if you have a dealer change them out. Might be worth you taking the bike to a trusted mechanic for an independent check-out.
Thanks Radar, I got them to add a brand new battery to the deal, the tires are 3 years old and I'll try to get this season out of them, then change them out this fall and have the belt checked the same time. I've already purchased it but it's going to a local Harley mechanic for a full inspection (I know I should've done that before buying, but there was another guy ready to put his money down so I had to act) , he'll inspect it and give me a baseline on what I've got, if anything needs to be done right away, and what to plan for down the road. She runs great, my gut tells me I got a good one.

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the page! I wouldn't be concerned about 42,000 miles. I'd actually consider that somewhat low for a 9-year-old bike. From what I've seen, the Rushmore 103's seem to be a robust motor. Based on my own experiences, I'm a firm believer that keeping these bikes moving is the key to longevity. It's the ones that do nothing but sit that would make me nervous.
Thanks Scott, I feel better about my decision hearing that...appreciate it man.

· old scoot coot
7,350 Posts
Have a look on youtube about the cam chest and removing the cover. Check both outer and inner chain tensioners, maybe worth checking the lifters as well !
yep, when the lifters begin to really get noticeably noiser then it's time for the camchest oh. :)
That's a beauty Tommy! And thank you for the help, I appreciate it. Here's a pic of the Road King I'm buying, picking it up saturday, and yes it has the white walls, wouldn't change that for anything. Love the classic look of these bikes and the whitewalls are a big part of it. From your picture it looks like you have the same Rinehart pipes, how do you like those?
View attachment 822534
wosie arisvande. a great lookin scoot! you are going to have a blast. as far as aftermarket slip ons go the rineharts are my favorite. nice low mellow tone, louder than stock. that pic was my old king. i have two ultra limiteds now. i strip the stock cans clean, square up the fugly angle cut on the rear of stock cans, strip them clean and install rolled edge extensions. i like em louder with the harley sound. then i put tuners and bigger intakes on. you are fine starting out. that is a really nice looking king! just ride it and keep up the scheduled maintenance. you can do it all yourself and save a shit ton of money. you can do all that on cold rainy days and not have to sit around a dlr for hours waiting for your bike when you should be out ridding. if you dont have one already all ya need is a harley service manual for your bike. that is pricey but worth it. looks like the previous owner already bought everything else ya need. :p

· Registered
2014 Road King
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I picked her up tonight, rode her home in the cold BC fog about 45 minutes, was sure enjoying the heated grips and all that wind protection. What an absolute joy! I've never ridden a Harley before tonight, I get it now. I will never, ever say again that Harleys are overated, you don't get it until you have one.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts