Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my build for my woman's bike I'm finding that the old school lights she chose have just two wires but the 1995 sportster lights have 3, I imagine one is a ground, another is the constant hot drive light and the third (rear) brake and up front it's the high beam?

My question is can I splice the two power wires together and it'll work fine or will it short stuff out and cause issues?

·
Banned
71 Posts
So on my build for my woman's bike I'm finding that the old school lights she chose have just two wires but the 1995 sportster lights have 3, I imagine one is a ground, another is the constant hot drive light and the third (rear) brake and up front it's the high beam?

My question is can I splice the two power wires together and it'll work fine or will it short stuff out and cause issues?
Ground, Hi, Low beam .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm monkeying around with the wiring today, should be able to really put it back together after this. Well, shy of a few things that haven't arrived yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I got the headlight figured out and just have to switch around the rear turn lights. The only problem is now the tail light won't get brighter when you hit the breaks.
I wired the black Harley wire as a ground and the blue and green wires as the two hots into the hot wire from the new light.
I did notice if I tried to use just one wire then the rest of the lights would shut off.
Where did I go wrong?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok got the turn signals to blink but they don't light up the drive lights and I got the drive light which is the bottom bulb of the tail light to light up but the break light doesn't light up.
The running lights are wired with the low beams . The stop lights are wired with both foot and hand brakes .

·
Just Ride
3,849 Posts
I explained this in your other post

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a loose wire that was spliced in the harness and I just just tried grounding each of those connections that the green and black wire come out of, turns out you do have to ground those. I just touched a rigged up black wire to both and played with the break actuator from the front grip. works like a champ, also got the tail marker lights going fine too. one wire and bad instructions on the tail light cause all this head ache. now to come up with a crafty way to hide the darned wires!

And thanks Fritz

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have posted some more information and photos for you in the sportster section on the Brake light issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts