Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone.

Bought my first bike in 72. 1972 Honda 450. Paid $1160 brand new. Kept it 2 years and sold it for $1100.. Not a bad investment.. lol
Been riding off and on ever since. I bought a new Kawasaki 900 in 74. From then on it's been mostly Gold Wings. I can't say a bad word about the Gold Wings. Pure luxury and a joy to ride. One of the most comfortable, dependable bikes out there. Well, had a run of bad luck and had to sell my beautiful 94 1500 Gold Wing about about 7 years ago and been with out ever since then. Things are starting to look up and 3 days ago took delivery of a beautiful 03 Fat Boy Anniversary with 2700 miles on it. This thing has after market paint, very small metallic flakes in the metallic orange paint. It appears this bike spent most of it's live in a hermetically sealed room in someones garage. Who ever had it spent a lot of money adding chrome, getting it lowered, Chrome wheels and a lot more. This bike is literally better than brand new. To say the least " I'm lovin it ".. :rollin I get the giggles every time I sit on it. It feels like no other bike and the sound is awesome. It has the old time Screaming Eagle slip on's. If there was a place in the dictionary for the quintessential Harley exhaust sound, there would be a picture of this bike right there. This is my first Harley and I am totally stoked. This is what I have been missing all my life. I could kick myself. I almost bought a 2005 Kawasaki 2000 off of Craigslist until I sat on one. Wow, that is one big bike. It was hard to sit on a bike where I could almost sit flat footed. This Fat Boy fits me so much better and it's a lot lighter. Not only can I sit flat footed but my knees are actually bent giving it a very low center of gravity. I've only had it a couple of days. After 7 years of not riding at all, I didn't realize how shakey I would be. Nervous, unsure, a little off balance but nothing really serious. Getting it together as far as what gear to use when turnning a 90 degree corner, etc. I'm getting better. This bike has a way of instilling confidence in my riding abilities. Although I, at one time, considered myself an experienced, knowledgeable, safe and confident rider, I don't feel that way rignt now. I have signed up for a motorcycle riding safety course. It's a 3 day class starting in 3 weeks.

Anyone else have a bit of trouble with self confidence after not riding for a while ?

I'll get it back, I'm sure.

Well, enough of that. I'm retired from the Army with over 20 years service. I wouldn't change that for the world.

I am also a part time singer, musician (bass player) living in the Nashville, Tn area. If you need a bass player for some good ole country music, I'm not that hard to find. You can find me on Facebook or contact me here.

Looking for friends to ride or pick with in the Nashville, Hermitage area.

I'm retired and don't work during the day. I need something to do.. lol

Later..

Johnny Walker

Attachments

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from Bryan, TX.

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
Welcome from north Texas! Thank you for your service! That's a great looking bike you have there, and you did a great intro. There are quite a few musician types on here. I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting reading!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome from the Houston area. Congrats on your bike. Practice and spending time on it will be the best cure for confidence. Take a course. Can't hurt. Thanks for your service as well.

·
IAFF local 845
1,909 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the Fatboy... beautiful bike. +1 on the thanks for your service!

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
welcome and thanks for serving. plenty of music players here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the welcome guys. It means a lot. Redman24, thanks for the suggestion about the course. I am already scheduled to take a 3 day motorcycle safety course through Boswell's Harley Davidson, here in Nashville, the end of this month.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.

JW

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Most of all, Thanks For your Service!! Welcome to Harleys and to the forum from North East GA. There are a lot of interesting folks on here we all learn a lot from each other. A refresher course if always a good idea. Good luck and enjoy that beautiful ride.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Great looking bike. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your 20 years. Relax enjoy and it will come back just like riding a bike hehe.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
Another from VA! :welcome

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Outstanding intro, Walker. And, great screen name. Don't take this the wrong way, but I love your rear fender. :laugh Get a solo seat on there so we can see the whole thing. :thumb

Welcome to the forum from Illinois.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Frisco and Tom.. I appreciate it..

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome.... what they said!!!

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
Welcome Slow and easy. In a month you be back in the saddle strong as ever.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

Sweet looking bike. I don't think that I have seen that combination before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Outstanding intro, Walker. And, great screen name. Don't take this the wrong way, but I love your rear fender. :laugh Get a solo seat on there so we can see the whole thing. :thumb

Welcome to the forum from Illinois.
Thanks Chief.

I believe it's just a stock rear fender. What do you find particularly interesting about it ? The color, the shape. Does it seem different ? I know, it's that cute little flare on the bottom ? lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts