Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Karen and I live in Missouri. I'm in my fifties now and just looking into riding. I've done a lot of riding "on the back" but never operated myself. I want to do that now. I don't have a bike yet. I don't want to purchase until I've learned. I took a class but had a bit of difficulty with the heaviness of the bike which concerned me. I know small women ride though, so I won't quit. I'm starting some one on one learning with an instructor next week, a female instructor, hoping she has some good tips for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome Karen. You are doing exactly what you should be doing. There's no such thing as too much training. You will however never get really comfortable until you get your own bike and get some time in. Be careful and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Hi,

My name is Karen and I live in Missouri. I'm in my fifties now and just looking into riding. I've done a lot of riding "on the back" but never operated myself. I want to do that now. I don't have a bike yet. I don't want to purchase until I've learned. I took a class but had a bit of difficulty with the heaviness of the bike which concerned me. I know small women ride though, so I won't quit. I'm starting some one on one learning with an instructor next week, a female instructor, hoping she has some good tips for me.
Welcome from Kentucky. I also read your other post and although I can't add to what has already been said, please don't give up. I think some one on one instruction and the right sized bike added to your enthusiasm will do it for you. Please keep up posted on your progress. Oh, and we like lots of pictures. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome from Plano Texas! Take your time looking and learning, you will find a bike that fits you and it will all come together. A Softail Deluxe with a lowering kit might be something to consider - good luck!!!!

·
American
29,877 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. You will do fine with proper instructor and bike.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,339 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and to being a new rider

You might want to look around for a older Honda , Yamaha, or Suzuki bike a 250 or 350 road bike you can buy them cheap and if you drop them who cares you cant hurt a lot . you can check out craiglist and have some one go with you that knows bikes for advice . Once you are comfortable riding the lighter bike go and look around the Harley dealer and see what you like a sportster or a heritage would be a good place to start

Good luck let us know how you make out

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. Once you take the class find a cheap metric to learn on. Then in a year get what you really want.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome from East TN
My wife (also in her fifties) has started looking into her own ride. At five foot tall she found that she doesn't fit many Harley's , then she found the Free Wheeler (trike) and is looking very hard at it. Hope you find what feels right to you.

Enjoy The Ride

:biking:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome from central Florida.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and to being a new rider

You might want to look around for a older Honda , Yamaha, or Suzuki bike a 250 or 350 road bike you can buy them cheap and if you drop them who cares you cant hurt a lot . you can check out craiglist and have some one go with you that knows bikes for advice . Once you are comfortable riding the lighter bike go and look around the Harley dealer and see what you like a sportster or a heritage would be a good place to start

Good luck let us know how you make out
This is good advice.. Welcome from the backwoods

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are bikes out there that suit shorter riders. Many of them can be lowered and that helps a lot. My roommate is 5' 3" and she's had issues finding bikes that are comfortable. She currently rides a Kawasaki Vulcan and it's pretty low and not very heavy. She is also looking at a Ducati Diavel which is light and pretty low but they are also pretty powerful so I don't think that should be a beginners bike.

I would some local women who ride, befriend them, and they will be very helpful. Go from dealer to dealer and sit on different bikes.

Also, have a look at this forum: Two Wheel Females - Powered by vBulletin

There are women of all experience levels, size, etc. with tons of knowledge and advice.

Happy trails!
Sarah

1 - 20 of 22 Posts