Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first impressions of the new bike after only 50 miles. (Coming from a Vic Vegas)

1. 103 is VERY smooth compared to the Vic
2. Feels very nimble for a big bike
3. 5th gear must still be straight cut, as it chatters like my 07
4. Haven't opened her up yet, but the torque seems phenomenal

Got her for $1k under MSRP do overall I'm happy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...one thing I forgot....I was unaware of the rear cylinder shut off feature. Now I know it's normal and it helps cool the motor, but I still don't really care for it. Kind of kills the signature HD idle.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thanks...one thing I forgot....I was unaware of the rear cylinder shut off feature. Now I know it's normal and it helps cool the motor, but I still don't really care for it. Kind of kills the signature HD idle.
I didn't know about it either??

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I am supposed to have the rear cylinder cut out on my 2013 ultra ltd but damnifino if it is happening

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am supposed to have the rear cylinder cut out on my 2013 ultra ltd but damnifino if it is happening
Takes a little getting used to, but just like everything else I won't notice it after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Read the manual or take the bike back to the dealer and they will help you...You can have that feature reset if you don't care for it...

Here is the video...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
The higher gears are helical cut (I think). The 103 has impressive acceleration. Yes, it's very nimble. I'm still used to my sportster back in the late 60's (muscle memory) and I tend to lean into the turns and scrape the foot boards.

I've added a guardian bell to the right foot board and I can hear it drag/tinkle just before I scrape. I'm thinking I'll put one on the other side, because dragging the foot boards sometimes is startling and that's not a good position to be flinching or jerking from.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The higher gears are helical cut (I think). The 103 has impressive acceleration. Yes, it's very nimble. I'm still used to my sportster back in the late 60's (muscle memory) and I tend to lean into the turns and scrape the foot boards.

I've added a guardian bell to the right foot board and I can hear it drag/tinkle just before I scrape. I'm thinking I'll put one on the other side, because dragging the foot boards sometimes is startling and that's not a good position to be flinching or jerking from.
Back in 07 5th gear was straight cut (much to many riders chagrin) because HD said it was a "passing gear". Don't know if the later models are that way.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The FLSTC of any vintage is just an excellent motorcycle. I love everything about them.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Its a option you can turn off or on, i know on the limited, roll off the throttle at idle and hold for a few seconds, and the cruise light will turn red (off) or green (on)

On the heritage im not sure what idication would tell you its activated or not. But roll off the throttle should activate/deactivate it.

You will definately know when it kicks in. Once the rear head hits a secific temp, it drops the rear and your idle sounds funky...

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Thanks, went out and went through the roll off for 3 seconds and understand now. It was on and after the procedure I had to repeat it to turn it on again.
I don't think I ever noticed it on yet.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Thanks, went out and went through the roll off for 3 seconds and understand now. It was on and after the procedure I had to repeat it to turn it on again.
I don't think I ever noticed it on yet.
If you wanna see what it feels like. Pull the pkug wire off the rear cylinder and start her up. Its really scared the shite outa me the first time, 5 hrs from home weekend after i bought her. Thought it dun fugged up... lol. Its gotta be pretty warm for it to activate, but i think if you uave a good tune and not the stock lean crap, you may never use it...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a option you can turn off or on, i know on the limited, roll off the throttle at idle and hold for a few seconds, and the cruise light will turn red (off) or green (on)

On the heritage im not sure what idication would tell you its activated or not. But roll off the throttle should activate/deactivate it.

You will definately know when it kicks in. Once the rear head hits a secific temp, it drops the rear and your idle sounds funky...
Yes like a 51.5 ci single.

I'm curious how the mechanics of that works. Does the plug just stop firing , so it basically just pulls in fuel then expels it?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
:bikerguy:I just bought my first bike a 97 Heritage softail and I love it. Already told the wife in a year I'm buying a new one can't wait till I get my hands on that 103!!! :bikerguy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok put some miles on the bike so I'll do a quick comparo to my Vic Vegas 106.

1. HD is much more refined. Tighter, engine is actually quieter and much smoother.
2. HD shifts much better. Vic is primary gear driven, as opposed to chain. This is a very strong system, but also very clunky with a lot of backlash in the lower gears.
3. Vic is fast. Real fast.

All things considered, happy I made the switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts