Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Please don't bite, I am a new Harley owner. I got myself a pristine Hugger 883 at the weekend after moving on from my bobbed Shadow 600. It's quite a difference between the two!

When I picked it up and drove on the highway for 45 minutes, the left mirror was shaking I could see nothing. It feels pretty tight. I know many just ditch the mirrors, but the roads around here can be heavily conjested so I would like to be able to use them.

I appreciate now that these bikes are vibration happy. I have to 2000 model, engine straight to frame! Any tips to help. I don't mind the buzzy handlebars, but the useless mirrors are another thing!

Is there a particular starting procedure from cold for these bikes? My shadow was pretty much, enricher on, fire it up and away I went. Doing to same thing with the harley and it just cranks over. Do I need to give it a couple of shots with the throttle first, or keep the throttle partially open when cranking it over?

Anyone fitted a spring style solo bobber seat to these bikes, just wonder if it is relatively easy or there some welding required? I fitted one to my Shadow which needed some pins welding to the frame from the springs.

Finally, how many miles to a tank do folks get before they reset the clock?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Mirror vibration on the solid mount XL's is pretty much the normal. You can add weights to the bar ends that may help. "Barsnake" is one that I can think of. Also a roll of nickels will fit. Can't help with the fuel ??, been too many years since I had an XL.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,038 Posts
you Might want to Check out the Sportster Section on Our Forum it Might answer a Lot of your Questions . Some us here do Bite and theirs nothing we can to Stop it Any one can bite at any Time . Have a cookie :devil

Oh Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
As to starting, DO NOT OPEN the throttle. Enricher on fully, a blip of the throttle and it should start. Allow to idle a little, depending on temperature. Enricher 1/2 or so off. Ride for a few minuets, then enricher off.

·
old scoot coot
2,529 Posts
welcome aboard from s.e. kansas. enjoy the harley, photos please. stick around and have some fun. lots of harley knowledge and ball busting on this site.:grin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts