Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips to replace the stock grips for my 2013 Ultra Classic. When installing the grip on the clutch-side handlebar, the instructions said to cut the stock grip lengthwise and peel off the grip from the handlebar, clean off all remaining glue and rubber residue and glue on the new grip. My concern and question is; does the new grip have to be glued on? The old grip was not glued on, it was held in place by a flange on the grip which fit into a channel on the switch housing. I installed the new grip, which has a flange, into the same channel without the use of glue. It seems to hold in place. I have not had a chance to ride this spring. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Using ISO grips on chubby bars too.
I used the glue as well as making sure the grip flange was properly inserted.
The glue did not hold. Seem`s to be a common problem for some. Maybe due to it`s age. :dunno
The grip will not slip off the end, because of the flange. But mine will rotate. Not a big deal but I find it annoying. Pulling and re-gluing it are on my to do list.

BTW. Go Browns. :D

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I replaced my stock grips on my '14 FLHX with Avon grips. Didn't cut the stock grips. Was able to release the stock grips from the handlebar and slide it off. Cleaned off the bars.

Installed the Avon grips without glue. After tightening the screws on the switch housing, the grips are holding tight. Haven't had a problem with them since the install.

Try it without the glue and see if they hold. Make sure the screws on the housings stay snugged up to specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed the ISO grips on my '14 Road King and glued the clutch side grip on. In fact, I didn't use enough and the grip came loose so I had to re-glue it. I do think it could be a safety issue of you are depending on the grip being tight and then it turns instead.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I haven't seen the ISO's yet, but the Avon grips now come with the flange that locks into the switch housing like the stock ones do, and DON'T require glue, yet come with those instructions. The OLDER Avon's did not have it, and needed glue. This may be the same situation.

I'm just across the border, in Lockport NY, if you need a hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts