Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
What would qualify as a hand hold? drivers belt? Certainly the straps that came on any of my Harleys are worthless. Does the law say they have to be used or just have to be on the bike?

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
As previously stated, both of the seats if have bought for my SG had passenger straps for your passenger to "hold" on to. I took them off because they never get used. If these qualify for a "passenger hold" I don't see it being to hard to get around this law.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,762 Posts
The handhold strap will meet the standard, as will the passenger pegs. That is a federal law and trumps state law under the commerce clause.

So an emotional reaction from parents that think their daughters death could have been prevented by a law. Complete fallacy, but a politician is not going to ignore a grieving parent, no matter the uselessness of the legislation.

The secret to motorbike safety is not to crash into a ditch and hit a road sign in this case.

It is good the Texas training programs will talk about carrying a passenger. An area of education to the novice that is lacking. At least from the shittt I observe every spring with the "paper plates" crowd.

I sent money to AMA to help kill the first attempt.

http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

They finally watered it down to a do nothing bill except for adding passenger education to the course requirements. I am all for education from the crap I watch the college students here do during the "paper plates" mafia the shows up every spring when "away from home" students buy motorcycles in the warm days of spring and commence to crash during the weeding out process. Unfortunately many have girls on the back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The handhold strap will meet the standard, as will the passenger pegs. That is a federal law and trumps state law under the commerce clause.

So an emotional reaction from parents that think their daughters death could have been prevented by a law. Complete fallacy, but a politician is not going to ignore a grieving parent, no matter the uselessness of the legislation.

The secret to motorbike safety is not to crash into a ditch and hit a road sign in this case.

It is good the Texas training programs will talk about carrying a passenger. An area of education to the novice that is lacking. At least from the shittt I observe every spring with the "paper plates" crowd.
As in most instances of legislation that have this kind of 'flavor' and imbalance against both federal law and common sense, I think enforcement will be weak at best. Disinterested might be another appropriate word. Still it nags me to the bone to see this kind of thing happen.

Fella's...it's been a very very long time since a politician was driven to act by a moral compass, intellect, and a proper philosophy to govern correctly. Those days are behind us and they will not return.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,762 Posts
What's next mandated seat belts for our scooters or maybe air bags?

Exactly why I support AMA PAC every year.

Never let the camels nose under the tent.

·
Banned
71 Posts
It's hard to go against a social campaign for equipment that already comes on the scoot from the factory . :what?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
good thing I only ride solo. Sad about the young girl's passing but that is one of the hazards of riding a motorcycle. We all know how dangerous they could be but we ride them anyway. Putting seat belts and air bags on the bikes will only cause more fatalities in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
(QUOTE) What's next mandated seat belts for our scooters or maybe air bags?
^^^^ this is coming next
this what happen to helmet law . somebodys stupid kid f$%^%ed up an now everybody pays that effing price for there stupid crap. i feel for those that have losses , but dont push your crap on me. i always tell my passenger to keep your feet on them pegs an if you have to grap me to hold onto. dont fight the bike just go with it.
NOW how in the crap is a stupid grab strap gunna keep you from getting killed when you drive into a ditch and then hit a effing sight post! PLEASE explain this to me.
(oh crap im gunna crash i better grab the strap it will save my life) HERE's a hint JUMP OFF the dang thing before hand.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
You hit something solid like road sign, that sudden stop is going to toss you off like rag doll. No matter what your holding on to.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Watched that. I noticed that the guy on the bike was all squirrly just before the bag inflated. Then, I chuckled thinking just how much of a useless piece of expensive crap the bag would be. I've crashed twice. No bag would have been helpful in either case. In fact, in both cases, a bag would have likely caused more serious injury.

As for the seat straps, my take is they put the passenger too far back affecting control and balance. I like 'em up close and holding on to me. In the event of a crash, the strap just flies off with the passenger.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,762 Posts
Funny as an engineer my first thought was if he had not been sitting back that far it would have broke his spine or launched his ass into space.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The only time I had any problems with a passenger , was with an 8 yr old who kept falling asleep. So I bungeecorded him in ,He rode fine after that. :thumb

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
My late brothers Goldwing had an airbag. But, the way he rode it would not have helped any. Fortunately he never used it.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It will be interesting to find out what they will consider as a handhold when I get my bike inspected. My new Corbin seat didn't come with a "rodeo" belt across the top.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Do my ample love handles count?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts