Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 87 Sporty from a brother while my Softail was in the shop. Decided to start doing some stuff to her and this is how she turned out. Sweet little ride. We are thinking about keeping it as a club bike for brothers whose bikes are getting work done. What do you all think?

-Rohan

Attachments

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Damn nice looking ride there Rohan! I think keeping it as a lender or backup bike is a great idea! I can think of no sh!!t!er time for a rider than waiting on your bike to have work done (even if doing it yourself) and not having something else to ride in the meantime.

How long did the project take?

Bill

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
Looks great!
Got any "before" pictures?
What all did ya do to it?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
Hey Rohan,

That peanut tank brings back memories. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nice looking bike, great idea to keep it as a club bike.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was just a bone stock 87 Sporty when I picked it up. Here is what I did to it over the course of about 3 weeks:

- Paughco rigid frame I had sitting in my shop
- Peanut tank
- Bent up a rear fender and made some braces out of scrap metal
- Picked up a round oil tank from a local guy and ran some copper oil lines
- Forward controls off of a junk sportster that a buddy had
- 14" apes, ran all the lines and wiring myself
- Speedo delete
- Front fender delete
- Took off the mirrors
- Made a little seat pan and had a local upholstery guy sew on some leather
- Bent my own exhaust pipes and welded the flanges on and wrapped them, then painted the wrap black. Then I did the old school trick of putting a bolt through each pipe and stacking it with big washers to make a kinda sorta baffle for some back pressure and exhaust pulse disruption.
- Took off the turn signals and mounted an old school glass lens tail/brake light combo that I found a long time ago in a barn and didn't know what to do with.
- Had the tank painted by one of my brothers with the flake and then I did the pin-striping.
- Tuned up the carb and replaced the plugs. Runs strong. Don't even touch the "choke" when starting.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head. If you guys have seen my Ironhead chopper (Forum Garage) that I built from the ground up you know that I'm no stranger to these cool little bikes. I always wanted to do an old school bobber so here was my chance.

-Rohan

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
That's about all I can remember off the top of my head. If you guys have seen my Ironhead chopper (Forum Garage) that I built from the ground up you know that I'm no stranger to these cool little bikes. I always wanted to do an old school bobber so here was my chance.

-Rohan
Man I really dig that Ironhead. :drool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts