Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, names Jack, I'm from Georgetown, MA, Im a 4/C Cadet at Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Ive been riding dirtbikes since I was 5yrs old; last year I bought my first harley, a 2000 sportster 883 and love it. Also my father bought a 2014 fat bob for his birthday last month so me and him have been riding in the freezing temps up here.

Ive got a 2000 sportster 883 that I want to 1200 convert. I can get the cylinders bored out cheap by a friend but I'm concerned the wall thickness will be too thin, I know some years its suggested not to bore them out. Also if I am to bore out the cylinders, what is the exact spec on the bore? is it a true 1200? any help would be much appreciated.

Jack

·
Registered
419 Posts
Something to consider:
I did a 1200 conversion on my then new 883 and was not that happy
with it once complete. The engine vibrated more than a standard
1200 due to being out of balance with the larger pistons, and the lower
balanced for the 883 pistons, from the factory. My new 1200 pistons
were supposed to weight the same as the 883 pistons. But there
was significantly more vibration at all engine speeds. It was still
rideable, but man that thing really shook.

Also the converted 1200 engine had pre-ignition "ping" when on the throttle
and I never could tune that out.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advise! i have a friend who did the conversion; bought the new cylinders and pistons, he also did cams, s&s carb, thunder header and regeared; and his bike SCREWS. i don't have the money to do all that right now but i already have python drag pipes, kuryakyn hyper charger, and looking to do the 1200 conversion.

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
Hey, names Jack, I'm from Georgetown, MA, Im a 4/C Cadet at Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Ive been riding dirtbikes since I was 5yrs old; last year I bought my first harley, a 2000 sportster 883 and love it. Also my father bought a 2014 fat bob for his birthday last month so me and him have been riding in the freezing temps up here.

Ive got a 2000 sportster 883 that I want to 1200 convert. I can get the cylinders bored out cheap by a friend but I'm concerned the wall thickness will be too thin, I know some years its suggested not to bore them out. Also if I am to bore out the cylinders, what is the exact spec on the bore? is it a true 1200? any help would be much appreciated.

Jack
You are ok to bore out your cylinders. 2009 and up are no bueno.

883_cyl_cutaway_3-26-13.jpg

Also see this thread.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/228258-1200-kit.html

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
No. Cant be re-sleeved as far as I know.

If you're sticking with stock cylinders, 1200 is as big as you can go.

Has your friend bored HD cylinders before?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome from Houston, TX. I'd thought about doing that to my 883 after I'd had it a while, but I ended up trading it in for something else. You might want to enjoy it, as it is, as much as you can, until you can get a 1200.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kainam,

Yes he has, his family does all the machine work for the local harley shops in the area.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Kainam,

Yes he has, his family does all the machine work for the local harley shops in the area.
Then they would be your best advisers. They should know right off the bat whether it can be done. And I'm sure they could tell you all the positives and negatives of the conversion.

Welcome from Kentucky, by the way!

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. Good luck with your conversion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts