Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and I hope you'll be able to give me a little advice on a couple of questions in a moment. For now, great to be joining you all here.

My name is Mark and I've been riding motorcycles since I was a kid. First fell in love with bikes at age 4 when I sat on my sister's boyfriend's chopper, all chromed out and loud as hell in 1973. Been hooked and on bikes ever since in one shape and size or another.

I hope soon to purchase my first-ever Harley. I've ridden Harleys and always loved them but never owned one. Currently own and am selling a metric cruiser. Once it goes, I hope to have a few HD options to pull the trigger on. Here's my question:

I have my eye on a 1999 Dyna Wide Glide with about 44k on the odometer. I also love the Sportster for many reasons, but obviously would only get a 1200. I'm wondering how much wiser would it be to go with an older Dyna 1450cc twin than a newer, say 2003-2006 1200cc? How many miles before those twin cams need a rebuild? The Dyna is selling for 5,500 and the Sporties are out there for anywhere from 3500-5000.

The Sporty appeals to me for its agility and nimbleness (I love riding hard in the twisties) but the Dyna seems like I get more bike in size and feel. I've never ridden a Dyna.

What do you suggest?

Thanks so much!
Mark

·
twice retired
9 Posts
Mark, the 88CI twin cams from 1999 to 2006 may have cam chain tensioner issues. The pads they use could need replacement in that Dyna your looking at. Very expensive...cheap parts, expensive labor. The 96CI motor in 2007 may have fixed the problem. The Sportsters were rubber mounted motors in 2004 - much improved ride and they were fuel injected in 2007. I have a 2007 Roadster and love it, but I have a 2014 Street Glide for the "long rides".

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from N.Y. As already stated I would go ride everything from the sporty up to say a fatboy. Then go for the one that speaks to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark, the 88CI twin cams from 1999 to 2006 may have cam chain tensioner issues. The pads they use could need replacement in that Dyna your looking at. Very expensive...cheap parts, expensive labor. The 96CI motor in 2007 may have fixed the problem. The Sportsters were rubber mounted motors in 2004 - much improved ride and they were fuel injected in 2007. I have a 2007 Roadster and love it, but I have a 2014 Street Glide for the "long rides".
Is the tensioner issue the same on earlier models, like the 96 EVO in the Dyna? I found one Dyna that has that specific motor, supposedly very uncommon to find in that year?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome from central Michigan, Mark.

My $.02: test-ride several different models. See what fits you best. I've never owned/ridden a Sportster, but I had an '02 Heritage Softail Classic (they'd fixed the 88B cam bearing issue by then) 30,000 trouble-free miles. I just recently bought a used '07 Street Glide with some engine mod's. I am thoroughly enjoying the 6-speed tranny over the 5-speed in the Heritage, and (for me) the fairing is much better than the Heritage's windshield.

Enjoy the search, and whatever you buy: Ride Safely.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,339 Posts
I'd second test driving a few different bikes if you've been riding for years the sportster might be a little small for you. A Heritage or a dyna or a road glide might be a better fit . Good luck on what ever you decide on and if you don't like the one you bought sell it and try another

Welcome to the Forum

·
Administrator
13,632 Posts
Is the tensioner issue the same on earlier models, like the 96 EVO in the Dyna? I found one Dyna that has that specific motor, supposedly very uncommon to find in that year?
EVO's have no cam chain, therefore no tensioners.

99 was when the switch from EVO to TC. Not uncommon at all. Dyna's typically are the guinea pig for new stuff, so it is off a year or 2 generally fro the rest of the pack.

FWIW, I got my '05 Dyna with 27k miles for $5k out the door in mint condition last year. Deals are out there.

The tensioner replacement is not a huge deal. I have almost 40k miles and I am planning to change the tensioners in a couple weeks. I have everything ready, but my old FLHT is having electrical issues and I don't want 2 bikes down at the same time.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks friends. I'm going to take your advice and test ride some bikes in my price range. Before I do, I'm wondering if in your opinion the rubber mounted Sporty is so much better than the rigid mount that I should skip the rigid Sporty all together. I actually did ride a friend's rigid mount (2000 model) some years ago and kind of liked the shake. lol. Don't know how I would feel about it on longer rides or using it daily if that would bother me. I have yet to try a rubber mount though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts